Menu

do you have a good corn salad recipe...

I have a salad recipe that is just fresh corn (stripped from the cob, but not cooked), avocado, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Eta: you just chop up the ingredients that need chopping and mix it all together!

It is very yummy! It goes great with enchiladas or other Tex-Mex food.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

This is by far one of the best recipes that I have found over the years. Any time during corn season that we are asked over to someone's house, the response to "What can I bring?" is always--"Your Corn Salad." It is so easy and delicious.

3 cups Fresh Corn Kernels, cut off the cob

2 T Olive Oil (EVOO if you have it)

1/4 cup Fresh Basil, chopped

1 T Shallot, minced

1 T Red-Wine Vinegar

1/4 t Salt

Fresh ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450. Toss corn and oil to coat and spread out on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until some kernels begin to brown (approx. 20-25 min). Combine basil, shallot, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add hot roasted corn, toss to coat. Serve warm or cold.

I have a salad recipe that is just fresh corn (stripped from the cob, but not cooked), avocado, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Eta: you just chop up the ingredients that need chopping and mix it all together!

This sounds delicious! I'm going to add it to my recipe file! :D

Can I used canned corn (yes, know it's cooked) if fresh isn't available? How long do you marinate--a few hours, overnight, not at all?

Edited by ereks mom

2- 15 oz cans whole kernal corn, drained

1 large green pepper, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 cup mayo

8 oz grated cheddar cheese

Mix together and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving mix with a bag of chili-cheese fritos, crushed.

If making to eat at home I recommend not mixing the fritos in, just use as a dip when you eat. Once the fritos are soggy this salad goes downhill fast.

Always gets rave reviews...and it is so easy!

Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans, rinsed & drained

1 can shoepeg corn (can use fresh corn)

1 tomato, diced

1 bell pepper, diced (I use orange because the color is pretty with the rest of ingredients)

1/2-1 onion, diced

1 avacado, diced

juice of 1 lime

Dump all ingredients into a bowl & squeeze lime over top. Mix & refrigerate. This is best when it has some time to sit & flavors to mix. If I'm making for company, I make the night before & add avacado just before serving so it doesn't get brown. If I'm making for us, I don't bother with holding out avacado. We don't mind if it's brown. :D Super tasty.

My husband prefers it more as a dip, topped with sour cream & shredded cheese and served with tortilla chips.

I do this and sometimes add black beans. Usually add chopped bell peppers and green chiles. To the olive oil, lime salt and pepper I add some apple cider vinegar and cumin. :drool5:

2- 15 oz cans whole kernal corn, drained

1 large green pepper, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 cup mayo

8 oz grated cheddar cheese

Mix together and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving mix with a bag of chili-cheese fritos, crushed.

If making to eat at home I recommend not mixing the fritos in, just use as a dip when you eat. Once the fritos are soggy this salad goes downhill fast.

Always gets rave reviews...and it is so easy!

My SIL just made something similar, except she did half mayo and half sour cream, and tossed in a few green onions instead of the red onion and green pepper. We had it with tortilla chips and it was delicious!!

This sounds delicious! I'm going to add it to my recipe file! :D

Can I used canned corn (yes, know it's cooked) if fresh isn't available? How long do you marinate--a few hours, overnight, not at all?

You could probably try it with canned corn.

I do this and sometimes add black beans. Usually add chopped bell peppers and green chiles. To the olive oil, lime salt and pepper I add some apple cider vinegar and cumin. :drool5:

Yes, I sometimes add peppers and/or chiles too. Especially when I have a bunch on my pepper plants (like now!).

I'm making corn salad soon. I pickled my own jalapenos last year and WHOA those things have burn factor. They are going to last years. I planted several thinking It was great to have canned but I am going to have way too many!

I like to add chopped radishes and finely diced carrots, and bell pepper. For dressing I like EVOO and lime juice as a base. The family is crazy and does not like cilantro so I use parsley, and load mine up with cilantro because I cannot get enough of it.

Corn Risotto/Succotash

Even my carnivore dh will eat this for dinner with no complaining!

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup chopped red onion

1½ cups Arborio or other medium-grain white rice

½ cup dry white wine

Coarse salt

3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 6 ears) or canned or frozen corn

5 ounces creamy, mild goat’s-milk feta cheese or fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)

1 cup diagonally sliced (¼ inch) green beans

1 garlic clove, grated

2 cups diced (½ inch) tomatoes (I like halved cherry or grape)

¼ cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves

Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet until it is hot enough to sizzle a piece of onion. Add ½ cup of the onion and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil. Add 2½ cups water, the wine and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, stirring once. Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the rice is creamy and tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the corn and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Fold in ½ cup of the cheese.

2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet until it is hot enough to sizzle a piece of onion. Add the remaining ½ cup onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups corn, the green beans and garlic and cook, stirring, until the beans are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, a pinch of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.

3. To serve, spoon the risotto into four shallow bowls. Top with the succotash and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese.

Very summer-y and delicious!

My SIL just made something similar, except she did half mayo and half sour cream, and tossed in a few green onions instead of the red onion and green pepper. We had it with tortilla chips and it was delicious!!

Sounds like something I was planning to try doing, based on Mexican street corn. I was planning to sprinkle with chili powder---didn't think of the chili-cheese Fritos. You could also add in some crumbled fresh Mexican cheese, if available. If there's a Trader Joe's nearby, they have frozen bags of roasted corn kernels that would be quick and easy with this when you don't have fresh corn to hand. Google "Mexican street corn salad" for ideas. Evidently the original street corn is called elote asado.

Corn Risotto/Succotash

Even my carnivore dh will eat this for dinner with no complaining!

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup chopped red onion

1½ cups Arborio or other medium-grain white rice

½ cup dry white wine

Coarse salt

3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 6 ears) or canned or frozen corn

5 ounces creamy, mild goat’s-milk feta cheese or fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)

1 cup diagonally sliced (¼ inch) green beans

1 garlic clove, grated

2 cups diced (½ inch) tomatoes (I like halved cherry or grape)

¼ cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves

Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet until it is hot enough to sizzle a piece of onion. Add ½ cup of the onion and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil. Add 2½ cups water, the wine and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, stirring once. Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the rice is creamy and tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the corn and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Fold in ½ cup of the cheese.

2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet until it is hot enough to sizzle a piece of onion. Add the remaining ½ cup onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups corn, the green beans and garlic and cook, stirring, until the beans are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, a pinch of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.

3. To serve, spoon the risotto into four shallow bowls. Top with the succotash and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese.

Very summer-y and delicious!

I just printed this out, it sounds delicious. It seems like it would be a hit with my crew. Thanks for sharing!