Menu

Have you conquered mid-cycle migraines? (female content)

If so, how did you do it? This is a new thing for me lately. I'm guessing it's age related. I've been keeping mild hot flashes, insomnia, and day one migraines at bay just by taking fish oil and magnesium regularly.

The mid-cycle migraines are very annoying and usually suprise me when I wake up in the morning with a headache, nausea, and feeling like I'm having a panic attack. They are usually gone within 24 hours, but I hate it. I want it to stop. I now feel total sympathy for women in days gone by and their "sick headaches." Ugh.

If so, how did you do it? This is a new thing for me lately. I'm guessing it's age related. I've been keeping mild hot flashes, insomnia, and day one migraines at bay just by taking fish oil and magnesium regularly.

The mid-cycle migraines are very annoying and usually suprise me when I wake up in the morning with a headache, nausea, and feeling like I'm having a panic attack. They are usually gone within 24 hours, but I hate it. I want it to stop. I now feel total sympathy for women in days gone by and their "sick headaches." Ugh.

Mine are typically beginning cycle migraines, but I do sometimes get them mid-cycle. I tried a lot of supplements before finding a neurologist to help (I chose him because he had a free headache seminar and I liked his dual approach of supplements and prescription meds). In addition to the magnesium, some other supplements that can help are B-2 and Co Q-10. He also recommended trying Gatorade when I feel one starting to come on and that will sometimes stop them (I don't typically drink Gatorade because of the stuff in it, but he says there's something about how it's formulated and the other drinks like it don't seem to work as well). I tried it last month and it did actually help.

I do have to take prescription meds, though - and after suffering for years and trying all sorts of stuff, I know for me, they are necessary to not have days where I'm on the couch.

• 1 year later...

I am 44 years old and am currently mid-cycle.  Had a very moody and fatigued day yesterday, but felt normal mood-wise when I awoke this morning except for a dull headache.  I showered - no relief. Then I felt like it was quickly turning into the type of migraine that I usually get the day before my period starts if I haven't been eating and sleeping well.  I ran to the kitchen, took 400 mg ibuprofen, a piece of bread, 60 mg pseudophedrine and a cup of coffee said a prayer and am fine now.  So glad it worked!  Hope this doesn't become a monthly occurance.

My worst migraines are start of cycle. I conquered mid-cycle migraines, but I did it with prescription meds. I used to get about 20 migraines a month. Now I get one or two. I tried everything natural, and while some of it may have helped, none helped enough to restore my life.

My grandmother used to talk about going to her MIL's house and massaging her head when she had "sick headaches". They have been in my family for at least 4 generations. I too feel for those who had them before modern medicines.