Menu

Planning for High School in 5th grade??

I'm new to posting on this board (been reading for a while) - so forgive me if this isn't the best forum for this, I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

My son just finished 4th grade (as far as a school would consider him). He started the year in private school, we moved and he homeschooled most of the year, and has been doing 5th grade work. So in the fall he'll be likely starting 6th grade work (we work through summer). Next year (2013-2014 school year) he'll be returning to school in the place we moved out of (temporary move).

My son has his heart set on Aviation High school up in the Puget Sound, WA area. They have a application online and we were looking through it to see what they'd expect. He'd be applying early in his 8th grade school year. Yes it's very premature to be 'planning' for this when he's about to start his 5th grade school year, but right now it's just a goal we are working towards and if it keeps him focused in the meantime, then great - even if we don't wind up sending him there come high school.

They ask for things like: have you taken an Algebra course, have you taken high school math courses, have you taken other high school level courses (and earned credit).

If we are homeschooling, how does that work? Our state doesn't require us to keep detailed records even. If he goes back to his old private school, I don't think they'd have the option to take high school level classes or work ahead like that (small school, in a town with only 2 public, 1 private high schools - none are linked to his private elementary K-8 school). I hate to make him go to another school since he's moved around so much already. But it might be something we need to do?

Sorry to ramble. I can't sleep. Ideas, plans and theories keep racing around my head. If anyone can help clear up how you take higher level courses for credit, and prove such for his high school application - that'd help!

If your child qualifies for one of the talent search programs like CTY, EPGY, CTD, etc. he can take online or summer classes at a high school level that are verifiable. Doing that is pricey compared to homeschooling, but far cheaper than a year of private school.

I think you should call the high school and ask...their Admissions Office. They might be willing to take a homeschool transcript, portfolio and testing scores (all or one or two of those).

I don't think you're planning too early. My daughter turns 11 this year and I'm pretty settled on what we're doing for high school. It seems like time is just flying! :001_unsure:

I think you should call the high school and ask...their Admissions Office. They might be willing to take a homeschool transcript, portfolio and testing scores (all or one or two of those).

I don't think you're planning too early. My daughter turns 11 this year and I'm pretty settled on what we're doing for high school. It seems like time is just flying! :001_unsure:

Then there are those of us that have taught high school multiple times that still don't know what they will be doing a yr ahead. :lol: I have no idea what I am using the next yr until I get there. ;)

I agree w/Starrbuck's advice. Call the school and speak to admissions. You really need to know if they will simply accept your transcript or if you need outside verification. (it can go either way and you won't know until you ask.) Once you know that, plan accordingly.

And if they need outside verification, you may find that a placement test would suffice. In my state, Algebra has an end of course exam, so if I needed to verify that my DD had completed algebra early, I could send her to a local middle school or high school and have her take the exam. At least here, that would be free.

Would you mind reporting back after you talk to admissions? I'd like to hear how they handle the teacher recs from homeschoolers too. We'd likely have a rec for math and science, but I plan on handling all the humanities myself, so I'm not sure what they would want in that case. Thanks!

Other things they may consider are SAT Subject Tests. My oldest will be a 7th grader next year and is taking four high school level courses (although Geometry will be spread over two years). I plan to have him take subject exams at least for Biology...since I'm not sure he'll "do" Biology again as a high school student. He has zero interest in it...and would rather spend the time with Physics, Engineering and Chemistry.

I do "look ahead" to where we "might be." The main reason has to do with giving me time to look at different curriculum options, on-line classes, or CC options. I need to mull things over a bit before committing to the purchases. Although we seem to have found a pretty good groove with Science and English for now... math we still take year by year, and it's a new history ball game for us as well!

Other things they may consider are SAT Subject Tests. My oldest will be a 7th grader next year and is taking four high school level courses (although Geometry will be spread over two years). I plan to have him take subject exams at least for Biology...since I'm not sure he'll "do" Biology again as a high school student. He has zero interest in it...and would rather spend the time with Physics, Engineering and Chemistry.

I do "look ahead" to where we "might be." The main reason has to do with giving me time to look at different curriculum options, on-line classes, or CC options. I need to mull things over a bit before committing to the purchases. Although we seem to have found a pretty good groove with Science and English for now... math we still take year by year, and it's a new history ball game for us as well!

I would be careful about taking the SAT subject test after a single high school level course. It is possible, but the score may hurt more than help if they end up applying to schools that require them.

Kids taking the subject tests are self-selecting and that skews the % worth of the score. For example, a 700 on the molecular bio is only in the top 69%. http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/SubjTestPercentileRanks.pdf

Most students taking the subject tests are applying to top schools that require them and they take them simultaneously w/AP classes (which is why the % scores are skewed.)

If you decide to go that route, I would recommend using the Barron's prep books for subject test prep b/c Barrons tends to be more thorough than the other prep books.