Menu

Getting Ready to Order SWR - What do I REALLY need....

Getting ready to purchase Spell to Write and Read for a 6th grader who is going to start at Level M, a 3rd grader reading/spelling a year behind and a 2nd grader reading way ahead but spelling at grade level (haven't given the younger 2 the test yet).

If you have used SWR, please share what you purchased, whether you would purchase again, and what you wished you had/had not purchased. Don't want to spend more than I have to and there are so many supplemental items....

TIA!

I would order the basic package and the required log books. You may decide to order more things as you use the program, but nothing else is necessary in the beginning.

Joy

:iagree: I would recommend Wanda's video (Hidden Secrets) if you aren't confident teaching the program but it isn't required. The yahoo group and this page were enough to get me going since the video wasn't out yet. Don't forget to get an extra logbook for yourself. You'll create a teacher logbook which helps you get familiar with the method (see the 101 page). I would not skip that.

This is an interesting post for me because I'm stuck right now mentally. I'm very frustrated with myself. This time a few weeks ago I was sure that I wanted SWR then I ran across LoE. Now I'm mentally at a standstill and very frustrated.

Also I have a lady in my area selling her SWR. She is selling the Core kit with TM, Wise Guide, 2 log books, and the phonogram cards and spelling cards. Phonogram CD and a lesson plan guide that a friend gave her. She is asking $100 for the set plus $10 extra for the cursive first program. She has had all of the cards laminated which she said ran her around $50 at Office max. I don't like that all the cards are also spiral bound so I don't feel like you can play as many games with them. What do you guys think about the price???

This is an interesting post for me because I'm stuck right now mentally. I'm very frustrated with myself. This time a few weeks ago I was sure that I wanted SWR then I ran across LoE. Now I'm mentally at a standstill and very frustrated.

Also I have a lady in my area selling her SWR. She is selling the Core kit with TM, Wise Guide, 2 log books, and the phonogram cards and spelling cards. Phonogram CD and a lesson plan guide that a friend gave her. She is asking $100 for the set plus $10 extra for the cursive first program. She has had all of the cards laminated which she said ran her around $50 at Office max. I don't like that all the cards are also spiral bound so I don't feel like you can play as many games with them. What do you guys think about the price???

I think that is too much. I laminated the cards myself for a lot less than $50. I'd check out here or on the SWR yahoo group for a better deal on it used. Everything except the logbooks and Cursive First is sold in the Core Kit new for $100. The logbooks are cheap ($3-5 depending on which ones) and I bought Cursive First used on this board for $10 ppd (with extra copies).

I would recommend Wanda's video (Hidden Secrets) if you aren't confident teaching the program but it isn't required. The yahoo group and this page were enough to get me going since the video wasn't out yet.

:iagree: I would also recommend the You CAN Do It! DVD by Britta McColl (an SWR trainer). The Hidden Secrets DVD helps with the whys and hows, and You CAN Do It! helps you to see how it's actually implemented at home. Both are handy.

Edited by CMama
Typo

If you have used SWR, please share what you purchased, whether you would purchase again, and what you wished you had/had not purchased. Don't want to spend more than I have to and there are so many supplemental items....

TIA!

Definitely get the Core kit (SWR, Wise, phonogram, spelling rule cards, phono CD), primary log books the two youngers & the new "formatted" black book for your oldest. I disliked formatting my own black log book & I felt like we wasted a lot of time on that, so I'm excited to see the new formatted ones even though they are pricier.

I bought Phonogram BINGO. It was a good purchase for us since I have lots of kids who will go through it. You could skip it, but you might look at the Phonogram Fun Packet by Beall's Learning Games or LOE's games book. (I don't have experience with either, so buyer beware.) I just know that my kids learn better when there is a little fun mixed in every couple of weeks.

I have Cursive First. It is simple, but it works at my house. I have to reread it when I'm getting ready to start another kid on cursive. I tried another cursive program & quickly realized that the CF way of introducing lower case letters in the order of how you do certain strokes makes more sense to my kids than alphabetically introducing them and including upper with the lowers. If you don't already have a favorite handwriting program, this is a good buy.

I have one of the DVDs (I think it is Hidden Secrets). Can't personally recommend it. Perhaps Britta's is better? There are some great Youtube videos out there for free. (Heck, even the LOE Youtube will get you pretty far as far as understanding SWR.)

If you stick with it, the Alpha List might be a good buy at some point, but I wouldn't get it now. (I still don't own one, although a few times a year I wish I had one.)

I wouldn't even consider the rest of the stuff right now.

I have one of the DVDs (I think it is Hidden Secrets). Can't personally recommend it. Perhaps Britta's is better? There are some great Youtube videos out there for free. (Heck, even the LOE Youtube will get you pretty far as far as understanding SWR.)

Britta's video is gives you the big picture from preschool through early elementary. It is wonderful for those who are starting from scratch at the preschool level, but I would not recommend it for anyone starting with a child over 6yo.

If you stick with it, the Alpha List might be a good buy at some point, but I wouldn't get it now. (I still don't own one, although a few times a year I wish I had one.)

I wouldn't even consider the rest of the stuff right now.

:iagree: