Menu

Using Conceptual Physics tests with a different edition of CP text...

I have the Prentice Hall 2009 version of Conceptual Physics. I want to know if these tests

http://www.millerphysics.com/conceptual-physics-practice-tests.html

can be used with it. They are from a different CP edition (not sure which one). Can anyone tell me if these tests will work with the 2009 edition? Certainly it would be easy to match chapter titles with test titles, but I'm unsure if there would be minor differences enough for a test not to be representative of a chapter. That wouldn't be a fair test.

I would like to use these tests next year if the test questions are a match with the content of the chapters.

The syllabus on the Miller site says that they are using a text from Kinetic Books. So, going to the blurb on the KB site about the text it says that it is a more rigorous text than Hewitt's CP. Even if the chapter topics match up, there may be some issue with the amount of math required. You could definitely download the tests and go through them yourself first to see if it is do-able for the other text.

Have you considered just picking out questions at the end of the CP chapter and using those for tests?

The syllabus on the Miller site says that they are using a text from Kinetic Books. So, going to the blurb on the KB site about the text it says that it is a more rigorous text than Hewitt's CP. Even if the chapter topics match up, there may be some issue with the amount of math required. You could definitely download the tests and go through them yourself first to see if it is do-able for the other text.

Have you considered just picking out questions at the end of the CP chapter and using those for tests?

Oh no!

I never ever saw that KB text before now!

Cynthia, thank you for this information. When I read "Conceptual Physics" on Mr. Miller's web page, I automatically presumed that the tests correlated to Hewitt's book. It never crossed my mind that I should confirm it.

I feel terrible about this because I posted these tests for ladies here to use with CP several weeks ago when I found them. After asking so many questions about 9th grade physics, I found these tests and was really excited that I had found something helpful to contribute...

I am so sorry for posting incorrect information. Asking forgiveness from you all. I've learned a valuable lesson.

Oh, don't beat yourself up :) I can't tell you how many times I've passed on information that didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped :p

You might still find those tests to be very useful. When I was teaching CP in our co-op I would have loved to see some tests for a similar course even if it didn't match the textbook. You might find that many of the questions are do-able with the Hewitt text. It just means that you will need to spend a little time looking through the tests rather than just an "open and go" sort of thing. Don't shelve the idea - see if you can make it work :)

Oh, don't beat yourself up :) I can't tell you how many times I've passed on information that didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped :p

You might still find those tests to be very useful. When I was teaching CP in our co-op I would have loved to see some tests for a similar course even if it didn't match the textbook. You might find that many of the questions are do-able with the Hewitt text. It just means that you will need to spend a little time looking through the tests rather than just an "open and go" sort of thing. Don't shelve the idea - see if you can make it work :)

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Oh no!

I never ever saw that KB text before now!

Cynthia, thank you for this information. When I read "Conceptual Physics" on Mr. Miller's web page, I automatically presumed that the tests correlated to Hewitt's book. It never crossed my mind that I should confirm it.

I feel terrible about this because I posted these tests for ladies here to use with CP several weeks ago when I found them. After asking so many questions about 9th grade physics, I found these tests and was really excited that I had found something helpful to contribute...

I am so sorry for posting incorrect information. Asking forgiveness from you all. I've learned a valuable lesson.

They do correlate to Hewitt's book. Mr. Miller links to the Conceptual Physics book that he is referring to on this page. These tests that you linked to are not the tests for his class that uses KB (those tests are located elsewhere on this website).