Menu

~South Carolina~

Reviving this thread. I will be moving to SC and have decided on Option 3. I feel very over whelmed in this with trying to find a group. I have been reading and reading till my head spins. I am leaning towards something in and around Greenville and that is special needs friendly. Even a co-op would be nice. Some groups mention k6, what is that? Can not be 6th grade but I thought the law was 7 year old for education. Or so I thought I read that somewhere. Annual testing I already do in my state but not sure if this is required there in SC. Also, when sending in your High School Diploma do groups keep it or return it? I saw where many list keeping it on file. I would have to figure out how to obtain a second copy, right? Any help getting my feet wet would be beneficial. I would so appreciate it.

Welcome!

Can't help with groups in Greenville.

Testing will vary according to your accountability group. I'm using PACES and don't need to test.

If you used SCAIHS, they require testing at 3rd grade and up.

Don't send your diploma out! What I've done is just make a copy and send that (for the groups that require it). I think for PACES, I had to send a notarized letter where the notary saw the diploma.

I believe (although haven't checked in a while) the law is that starting at age 6 (first grade... 6 by Sept 1) you have to be registered. I think K is still optional.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving this thread. I will be moving to SC and have decided on Option 3. I feel very over whelmed in this with trying to find a group. I have been reading and reading till my head spins. I am leaning towards something in and around Greenville and that is special needs friendly. Even a co-op would be nice. Some groups mention k6, what is that? Can not be 6th grade but I thought the law was 7 year old for education. Or so I thought I read that somewhere. Annual testing I already do in my state but not sure if this is required there in SC. Also, when sending in your High School Diploma do groups keep it or return it? I saw where many list keeping it on file. I would have to figure out how to obtain a second copy, right? Any help getting my feet wet would be beneficial. I would so appreciate it.

You don't have to send in your diploma - just sign that you have one, at least with our accountability group.

Testing isn't mandated here.

Check out Our Lady of Perpetual Help as an accountability group (you need one of these for third option; this is DIFFERENT than a co-op; you are mandated to have an accountability group).

Now, co-ops. What is your faith preference (yes, it matters - most have a statement of faith to sign, lol).

ETA: I live in Greenville.

Faith, well we have faith. It is not my focus in HS especially at the moment. Right now it is working with delays and special needs. We touch on things here and there but nothing major. We would like to find a HS/SN friendly church. We are mostly baptist but have attended open faith churches.

What is this statement and its requirements for belonging to a group? Would we fit? PIE was also mentioned to me.

How is the HS community as a whole in Easley, Greenville or Simpsonville areas? We have our house on the market but looking to relocate when it sells. Which we hope is not too long based on what the realtors say.

I did run across a co-op last night late that had a fee and you had to sign up by X date. Is this the norm? If we move unexpectantly say September then this is past the cut off. While it is hard to do too much with our families needs I would like to make like minded friends for myself and the kids.

Thank you for your responses. Means a lot to this already stressed out mind :p

Found this one too. Any thoughts?

TSCHAA - seems really relaxed. I really do not know what to look for when searching a group.

I'm not familiar with *this* co-op. We're Catholic, so one of our co-ops is Catholic, however we ALSO belong to a protestant co-op (because they're awesome and it's like some kind of SUPER co-op; classes taught by either teachers or experts in their field) - now, THIS group allowed us to just sign the SOF stating that I understood (and respect) that this is the faith perspective from which they teach their classes... in other words, they were cool with that, as a Catholic, I couldn't agree to the SOF. If you lean Baptist, you would likely have no problem signing most of the protestant co-op statement of faiths. The protestant group we belong to is Upstate Homeschool Co-op. The classes are pricey, but worth it.

And yes, it is common for them to cut off registration after a certain date, if it is a more academic focused co-op; these classes often have size limits and those fill up quickly.

The groups that are more "social" focused than academics will not have the same strict enrollment dates, usually.

I'm sorry. The Upstate Homeschool Co-op is really the only protestant group I'm familiar with in the area; otherwise I only have Catholic related stuff up my sleeve.

On that note, Greenville is VERY homeschool friendly. Nobody bats an eyelash when we're out during the day; the children's museums, skating rinks, and art studios all have "homeschool days" - as does the zoo! Several gymnastics studios and dance studios have homeschool specific classes during the day. Easy peasy. Oh! I almost forgot, we also have a large homeschool sports league here for the middle and high school crowd!

I'm not sure about Simpsonville. We looked into moving there (because we currently live downtown Greenville, where the homes cost twice as much for half the size, lol). Simpsonville has some amazing home prices and it's a lovely area. The kicker for us is that we do want a Catholic school nearby, just in case we ever wanted one for the children, and there are none in Simpsonville (and our home parish is 30 minutes each way from there). But really, if you aren't tied to any church yet, you've got the market cornered in Simpsonville.

One more thing - there's actually a Classical private school in Simpsonville. It's protestant and they won't allow us to join (lol), but they do allow homeschoolers to enroll in as many or as few classes as they want (so long as you can agree to their SOF). I think it's only for middle and high school though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wishing we were near Greenville since many of y'all are there or around there :(

I'm looking for a 3rd option accountability group. We are Orthodox (well most likely will be converting) so something that is open to all faiths or secular. I'm near Charleston. I've heard good things about Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

I'm wishing we were near Greenville since many of y'all are there or around there :(

I'm looking for a 3rd option accountability group. We are Orthodox (well most likely will be converting) so something that is open to all faiths or secular. I'm near Charleston. I've heard good things about Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help is wonderfu! Affordable and non-invasive.

• 2 weeks later...

The protestant group we belong to is Upstate Homeschool Co-op.

I'm sorry. The Upstate Homeschool Co-op is really the only protestant group I'm familiar with in the area; otherwise I only have Catholic related stuff up my sleeve.

I have taught at The Upstate Homeschool Co-op for seven years, and have had two sons graduate with them. I think it's pretty awesome. There are still some openings for next year. You can find out more here: https://www.homeschool-life.com/sc/upstatehomeschoolcoop/

In Greenville, there is also the Vanguard Homeschool Academy, which is a one day a week co-op: http://www.greenvillehrc.webs.com/

And then there is Artios, which has Fine Arts one day a week and academics one day. I don't believe you have to do the academics to to the Fine Arts: http://www.artiosacademies.com/greenville-2/

HTH

I have taught at The Upstate Homeschool Co-op for seven years, and have had two sons graduate with them. I think it's pretty awesome. There are still some openings for next year. You can find out more here: https://www.homescho...homeschoolcoop/

In Greenville, there is also the Vanguard Homeschool Academy, which is a one day a week co-op: http://www.greenvillehrc.webs.com/

And then there is Artios, which has Fine Arts one day a week and academics one day. I don't believe you have to do the academics to to the Fine Arts: http://www.artiosaca...m/greenville-2/

HTH

We're super excited about the Upstate group this year!

• 2 months later...

Hello SC members!  We are seriously considering homeschooling DD for kindergarten this year, and I'm looking for inclusive or secular HS groups in the Charleston area for social activities.  (Not Option 3 groups)  I've seen CharlestonHSTimes and BerkeleyHSTimes listed here before, but I can't find those groups on Yahoo.  Do they still exist?  Any other recommendations?  My DH has the usual concerns about socialization, and I agree that our very social DD needs the outside activities as well.  She'll resume ballet classes once per week at the end of August, but I know that she will want more.

• 2 weeks later...

They have combined those groups, I believe. I'll get the info for you tonight. There is also FTF Field Trip Fridays on Facebook. Very inclusive. Lowcountry Homeschool Association is a nice inclusive Association regardless of how you homeschool, religion, etc. Our Lady of Perpetual Help is upstate, but they have also opened up their Association to be inclusive (because if SC is in need of anything it's more inclusivity).

• 2 weeks later...

After a huge and unexpected about face, we could be living in SC, if Dh gets the transfer we could be there in as little as 2 wks. Ahhh, nerve wracking! We would actually be living on Folly Field beach (PLEASE let this work out :) ) My cousin and his wife live in Bluffton.

Anyway, I've only been to the area once, last October for my cousins wedding. We live in Ohio now, and were planning to move to Florida but sadly, that dream has died per my husbands say. I don't know why I was under the impression the homeschooling laws were the same as Ohio's but after seeing the replies here I'm a bit concerned. Looking deeper into it now...

ETA: Just read up on the requirements.. they are definitely different than Ohio, and more involved. Hmm. Not going to lie I'm a little intimidated by these 3 options... seems a little confusing at first, but probably just because I've never heard of it before.

Do you find the requirements easy to follow? How much free reign do you get with option 3?

Hmm, is SC a difficult state to homeschool in?

ETA: Just read up on the requirements.. they are definitely different than Ohio, and more involved. Hmm.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. My FAQs will (hopefully) ease your mind: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/afaq.html

Edited to add: yes, 3rd Option is much less invasive.

Warmly,

Dianna

Do you find the requirements easy to follow? How much free reign do you get with option 3?

It's easy.

3rd option requires joining an accountability group (doesn't need to be in your part of the state). Different groups have different requirements & different level of support (& different fees). You will likely find a local support group to be useful.

You do need to follow state requirements (180 days, reading, writing, math, science, social studies), but there's tons of freedom within that. Testing is optional (unless your accountability group requires it).

It's easy.

3rd option requires joining an accountability group (doesn't need to be in your part of the state). Different groups have different requirements & different level of support (& different fees). You will likely find a local support group to be useful.

You do need to follow state requirements (180 days, reading, writing, math, science, social studies), but there's tons of freedom within that. Testing is optional (unless your accountability group requires it).

Ah, I guess I was a bit thrown by the "following the group" type of thing. I thought you all were required to used the same curriculum, etc. Oops :) Thanks for the replies, all. I'm feeling much better about it.

Ah, I guess I was a bit thrown by the "following the group" type of thing. I thought you all were required to used the same curriculum, etc. Oops :) Thanks for the replies, all. I'm feeling much better about it.

Not at all.

I've used 3 different 3rd option groups. One did want me to send in a list of what we used, but no one has mandated what we use at all. I've never even heard of it :)

Another question :)

Dh and the HR lady at work have been in contact with the GA company for his transfer. I'm crossing my fingers that this move will happen! Ive got a good feeling. So, this leaves me with another question.

Has anyone moved to SC from another state in the middle of the ps year and if so, how did you go about switching everything over and taking care of the proper notification?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention that we're offering early application (January-April) discounts for families applying for Option 3 coverage with Carolina Homeschooler next year (2014-2015). Services won't begin until June 1, 2014, but the earlier you register, the bigger the discount. (I'm trying to spread my workload more evenly throughout the year.)

We're not as cheap as some of the other associations, but we offer a lot of field trips, events, and online activities for our members. To find out more, please visit my membership area at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/amembership.html

Warmly,

Dianna

Dana, I've enjoyed having him in it! Such a sweetie!

Warmly,

Dianna

He's checking every morning but the questions keep going up after lunch :)  It makes a good break. Today he read the Latin from the book aloud. Just signed up for quite a few trips and really looking & discussing some later ones...

Dana, I try to post them the night before so they can check in the morning, but I haven't been able to this week. I'll try to do better!

I'll catch up on trip registrations and membership applications this weekend. I've been busy finalizing my Disney trip details and tomorrow we have the Flight School. I'll get a little break after that!

Warmly,

Dianna

Dana, I try to post them the night before so they can check in the morning, but I haven't been able to this week. I'll try to do better!

I'll catch up on trip registrations and membership applications this weekend. I've been busy finalizing my Disney trip details and tomorrow we have the Flight School. I'll get a little break after that!

Warmly,

Dianna

And I just spent the past half hour posting on your boards :)  Math thread! Let me know when those pop up & I'll reply there.

Had a friend just register for accountability next year with a 1st grader!

The parishes (and parish schools) often allow the catholic co-ops to use their property for classes. It's very generous of them really. I know there are extra insurance costs incurred by allowing it.

It would help if they were listed somewhere online ;) The only ones I've found are upstate.

• 3 weeks later...

Confused by the accountability and support groups. They're not the same thing? HSing in the fall.

Hi, SC requires homeschoolers to register through the school district (not recommended) or a homeschool association. These associations are called "accountability associations" and provide the coverage required by law. Support groups are there for support purposes. Some support groups (such as mine) provide accountability services, too.

For a lot more information about homeschooling in South Carolina, visit my FAQs at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/afaq.html

Warmly,

Dianna

Carolina Homeschooler

Our never-ending job search has us looking at Pendleton.  That doesn't look like a bad drive to Greenville.  Funnily enough, I lived in Greenville, NC! Anyway, Just wondering if anyone wants to sell me on SC. 

Are the fire ants bad there (they were in NC)?

Land decent-ish for a garden, I presume?

Much to do for secular folks?

Anyone know if there are good violin lessons near-ish? 

Cost of living decent?  We are looking at the SE and PNW and wowza.  I'm not used to the housing costs of the PNW!

Our never-ending job search has us looking at Pendleton.  That doesn't look like a bad drive to Greenville.  Funnily enough, I lived in Greenville, NC! Anyway, Just wondering if anyone wants to sell me on SC. 

Are the fire ants bad there (they were in NC)?

Land decent-ish for a garden, I presume?

Much to do for secular folks?

Anyone know if there are good violin lessons near-ish? 

Cost of living decent?  We are looking at the SE and PNW and wowza.  I'm not used to the housing costs of the PNW!

Fire Ants: Yes! (don't know about Greenville, but Greenville is between NC and where I'm at in the Lowcountry, so I'm guessing yes)

Gardening: You'd be up near Greenville, yes.

Secular folks: well....you're in BJU territory and the county is bought by BJU and affiliates :p However, there are some secular people there. There are also those there that fall into the Crunchy Christian, but not Fundamentalist type up there and they don't really go for the BJU folks or their drama.

Housing costs are lower here, I believe. I can tell you that my food bill has gone up compared to living in PA (not sure about PNW). 

My only sells are that it's warmer here and people can be nice. (but I'm going through culture shock in other areas ;) so I can't sell you a whole package right now...I tend to deal with culture shock everywhere I live for a little while)

Fire Ants: Yes! (don't know about Greenville, but Greenville is between NC and where I'm at in the Lowcountry, so I'm guessing yes)

Gardening: You'd be up near Greenville, yes.

Secular folks: well....you're in BJU territory and the county is bought by BJU and affiliates :p However, there are some secular people there. There are also those there that fall into the Crunchy Christian, but not Fundamentalist type up there and they don't really go for the BJU folks or their drama.

Housing costs are lower here, I believe. I can tell you that my food bill has gone up compared to living in PA (not sure about PNW). 

My only sells are that it's warmer here and people can be nice. (but I'm going through culture shock in other areas ;) so I can't sell you a whole package right now...I tend to deal with culture shock everywhere I live for a little while)

If it's anything like NC, I know what you mean!  It was culture shock for me.  Everyone was ridiculously nice and I'm used to Northern coolness.  Not hostility.  It's hard to describe.  But when we moved back up North, dh and I were shocked by how rude people were.  :lol:

If it's anything like NC, I know what you mean!  It was culture shock for me.  Everyone was ridiculously nice and I'm used to Northern coolness.  Not hostility.  It's hard to describe.  But when we moved back up North, dh and I were shocked by how rude people were.  :lol:

No, niceness, even false niceness, I've experienced elsewhere. Not a problem (real or false). Coolness, not a problem. 

Sexism, racism, good ole boy system....problem.

No, niceness, even false niceness, I've experienced elsewhere. Not a problem (real or false). Coolness, not a problem. 

Sexism, racism, good ole boy system....problem.

Gotcha.  The politeness was different for me.  Greenville wasn't that bad in the other areas, except some racism.  The schools were a disaster.  Otherwise, that wasn't an issue.  These are honestly the issues keeping dh from wanting the SC job, though. :(

Gotcha.  The politeness was different for me.  Greenville wasn't that bad in the other areas, except some racism.  The schools were a disaster.  Otherwise, that wasn't an issue.  These are honestly the issues keeping dh from wanting the SC job, though. :(

I can't throw a stick without hitting kin here and I still don't like it. There are upsides and downsides. There are many here that are "being the change"...SC is just a bit behind the rest of the US though. 

I can't throw a stick without hitting kin here and I still don't like it. There are upsides and downsides. There are many here that are "being the change"...SC is just a bit behind the rest of the US though.

Yup.

For violin, I'm sure you could find a good teacher in the area.

USC has the strings project which is too far, but they could probably recommend some good instructors in the area...

We live in Germany but are moving to the Charleston area in late summer.  I think I have a grasp on the Option 3 business but would love some links or at the very least some names of some support/co-op groups in the local area.  I have done as much googling as I can but I know some groups might not be as well advertised on the internet as others.  We are Catholic but our homeschooling is secular.  We are striving for a classical/LCC style but since my children are young we're mostly just laid back eclectic learners for now focusing mostly on SWR, CF and LOF.  Not quite sure where we will end up living but most people have recommended Mt Pleasant so we'll probably be in that area if that matters.  I have 3 kids under 7.  

Hi, here's a link to my FAQs - they answer a lot of questions new homeschoolers have about homeschooling in SC: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/afaq.html

There are a lot of homeschoolers in the low country, many of which have active Facebook groups. Please email me at director@carolinahomeschooler.com and I'll be happy to send you links. I'm not sure which are religiously based or secular (or if they're inclusive), so it may be best to hang out in a variety of the groups and see which one best fits your family.

Also, If you'd like, I can ask my members in that area to email you with more info. Just let me know in your email if you mind me sharing your email address.

Warmly,

Dianna