Menu

Homeschool Legal Group

Kathy G

Hi I also posted this on the general board, but I wanted some answers here too. I apologize for members of the GHF group- this has been a topic there too.

Who has been a part of a legal group- specifically HSLDA or similar? I never have, but I am wondering how important it is. Both DH and myself work full time so we have some people who think we are "bad homeschoolers" Anyone close to me and my kids can see they are way ahead and don't even give it a second thought. However, maybe I should be more worried than I am.

I know HSLDA has some political views that are not everyone's cup of tea However I didn't post this to talk about that. I am just wondering how many of you do belong and do you know anyone who has truly needed it? (in other word should I really be concerned)

Thanks

Kathy

It has been my observation that the legal issues I've seen arise from HS are almost always in the one area that HSLDA refuses to get involved in (divorce/child support/custody). So I'd say no, it's not worth paying for their membership unless you are required to in order to join a local support group (most of the Protestant groups in my area require HSLDA membership).

Crimson, that's interesting... none of the groups in our area require it, although they do discuss and recommend it. We haven't chosen to join any legal groups. I do know that there are others out there, but I'm not familiar with any of them. I guess we do belong to our state organization, which doesn't offer legal protection but advocates for homeschool legislation and the like.

I think it also depends on which state you live in. Some states have a lot more laws to maneuver than others.

I do subscribe to the HSLDA FB page, and I don't like the scare tactics that they use to get members. They often share stories that are not verifiable and then tell their members to tell their friends so that they will join. That bugs me. But I still subscribe to their page, as well as many others, because I figure I'll get some news and some truth between all of them.

I do not belong to any HS legal org.

I do not think it is necessary. If you know your state's rules and regulations, realize that school districts and other people DON'T know those laws, and are prepared to educate those ignorant of them, you will never need any legal rep. However, if you live in a state that is a PITA, follow a very different educational path, are getting a divorce where the spouse disagrees with HSing, or a few very evil family members/neighbors...it might make sense... but in that case, I think it would be better to have a regular lawyer. The HS laws in each state aren't particularly complicated. They aren't.

If I felt the need to join a legal org. I would look for the one that covered the most, and had the fewest non-homeschooly other items of interest on their plate. Or if they had a lot of them, I at least agreed with some of them.

I think the most important thing is to become familiar with your local homeschooling laws and then be prepared to stand up for yourself if needed. Most of the cases I've seen in the HSLDA's own releases seem to be along the lines of, "Susie Homeschooler contacted us about so-and-so and we sent a letter/made a call reminding so-and-so of the law and all was rosie for Susie." Not something most of us aren't capable of ourselves and it's probably healthy for us to fight some of our own battles.

Also, I know that here in NS it's a provincial group that's most influencial when homeschooling issues arise with the gov't. It's that group that sits down with the minister or bureaucrat in charge of homeschooling, not the HSLDA to discuss current legislation. They're more of an advocacy group rather then a legal defense one but they're very effective and the membership is a LOT cheaper. :)

Thanks for the responses. I don't think we will join anything. It is a lot of money and I haven't seen any local issues that are a problem. We even use the public school for a few classes and they have been very nice about it. So if something were to happen I would just hire a lawyer on my own.

I sometimes think my kids look like they do nothing to the neighbors because they take breaks and play, or we go read by the creek, or do projects outside. The neighbors don't seem to understand that homeschool takes so little time compared to school- no standing in lines or waiting for others to finish the assignment. How sad is it that these people think it is acceptable to question whether or not my kids are being educated, yet it would be totally out of line for me to question the education theirs get at school? (the very place we can't go due to lack of challenge!) OK, off my soapbox and back to work now.

Ha ha ha... I can see it now...

"I am so glad you brought up the topic; I would have felt uncomfortable doing so! But now that you have opened the topic for discussion, I really want to discuss my concern for your children with you. You see, I saw the district's test scores in the paper and noticed that fewer than 40% of the kids are proficient in math, science, and reading, and that there is only a 60% graduation rate for special needs kids. My own kids' scores while homeschooling stay in the upper 90th centiles year after year. I would feel badly about going to the authorities without talking to you first, but it seems to me that leaving your daughter in that school constitutes educational neglect, and I am wondering if you have considered alternatives ...."

[NB: I am only writing this to imagine the shock value for an intrusive neighbor. This is not my actual opinion of all schools or of the choices of parents who use public schools. I just think the look on such a nosybody's face would be priceless].

Thanks for the responses. I don't think we will join anything. It is a lot of money and I haven't seen any local issues that are a problem. We even use the public school for a few classes and they have been very nice about it. So if something were to happen I would just hire a lawyer on my own.

I sometimes think my kids look like they do nothing to the neighbors because they take breaks and play, or we go read by the creek, or do projects outside. The neighbors don't seem to understand that homeschool takes so little time compared to school- no standing in lines or waiting for others to finish the assignment. How sad is it that these people think it is acceptable to question whether or not my kids are being educated, yet it would be totally out of line for me to question the education theirs get at school? (the very place we can't go due to lack of challenge!) OK, off my soapbox and back to work now.

"I am so glad you brought up the topic; I would have felt uncomfortable doing so! But now that you have opened the topic for discussion, I really want to discuss my concern for your children with you. You see, I saw the district's test scores in the paper and noticed that fewer than 40% of the kids are proficient in math, science, and reading, and that there is only a 60% graduation rate for special needs kids. My own kids' scores while homeschooling stay in the upper 90th centiles year after year. I would feel badly about going to the authorities without talking to you first, but it seems to me that leaving your daughter in that school constitutes educational neglect, and I am wondering if you have considered alternatives ...."

[NB: I am only writing this to imagine the shock value for an intrusive neighbor. This is not my actual opinion of all schools or of the choices of parents who use public schools. I just think the look on such a nosybody's face would be priceless].

:lol::lol::lol:

Too Funny! Thank you for making me laugh today!!! Sadly though there is one woman to whom I would LOVE to say that- although I never would!!! Just thinking about it makes me smile.:lol: