Menu

Stuck on History

Ok, We did OM 6 ancient history to the Byzantine then switched to Connections academy which covered Byzantine to the World Trade Center and then spent the rest of the year on American Geography (including cultures and brief history of each country.)

She says it is all boring--Oak Meadow and what she did last year. I want her to enjoy it and keep the information in her head. If she is bored she doesn't retain what she reads.

Other facts:

OM7 covers the history she studied last year

OM8 is civics and I am unsure if we should cover it this year

World geography sounds neat (Geography through Art looks cool but like it might be a lot of work.)

I thought about having her just read the Horrible History books.

She's taking algebra this year and I am considering physical science (OM8). Should I just go ahead and do 8th grade for history and get the Civics? Or do we do something else?

Thanks for any help in working toward a solution.:001_smile:

Yeah, that's why I though geography would be a good thing to explore. That thread got me going in this direction.

When I have tried to combine in the past it is just a disaster. They both enjoy having their own work. And it really makes teaching them easier if they do.

Thanks.:001_smile:

My oldest hated OM6 history also. I am planning on using it again this coming fall with his younger brother, but with a lot more reading to help it along.

OM8 Civics (especially since it's an election year)? Seems like the perfect time :)

OM8 Civics (especially since it's an election year)? Seems like the perfect time :)

You are probably right. Maybe I will look at that again. Civics, and physical science this year and use the language arts next year.

OK, I'm feeling a little more focused. Thanks.:001_smile:

My oldest used to like history. Then, this year we were doing Sotw with tests (per his request). I was also having him read Kingfisher. He said it was all boring. And (even worse) history has always been boring! He had been saying he wanted to study modern history and/or WWII. So i was looking around at different programs. I showed him WP Am. Culture. He was actually excited. Now I am just trying to decide if I want to purchase WP, just use their books added on to something else, or write my own using their books.

Anyway, maybe see if anything interests her, excites her. I almost feel it's better to lose that chronological progression if the dc are bored. Jump around or whatever, but let them like history, find their own connections. It's amazing--but I find if I am reading about one small aspect of history, much of whatever else was going on at the same time comes through. So, maybe if she is interested in clothes or cooking or art or games, start there. I know this is completely different from what you are talking about. But I feel that letting history continue to be a boring subject for them completely loses it's value. Find the spark! Feed the flame. Blow on it gently. And maybe a small flame will actually turn into a fire. Let her listen to Sotw or A Little History of the World on audio for the overview of world history. Then find her own connections. Do a timeline, projects, fun reading....maybe let her run with it.

I think maybe I am talking to myself here. So, forgive me if I am way off base. I think your post made me reflect on my situation.

You might consider one semester civics and one semester geography.

It works here well to have some semestersubjects.

Not a bad idea. I could even split up the semesters into 1/2 one and 1/2 the other to make it more interesting. She enjoyed history last year because she had a great teacher but she said the reading was often boring.

Maybe 7 weeks of Civics and then 7 weeks of Geography through art for fall and then maybe alternate every 4 weeks in spring since we have 16 weeks in that semester.

Yes, I am getting great feedback and good ideas here.:001_smile:

I almost feel it's better to lose that chronological progression if the dc are bored. Jump around or whatever, but let them like history, find their own connections. It's amazing--but I find if I am reading about one small aspect of history, much of whatever else was going on at the same time comes through. So, maybe if she is interested in clothes or cooking or art or games, start there. I know this is completely different from what you are talking about. But I feel that letting history continue to be a boring subject for them completely loses it's value. Find the spark! Feed the flame. Blow on it gently. And maybe a small flame will actually turn into a fire. Let her listen to Sotw or A Little History of the World on audio for the overview of world history. Then find her own connections. Do a timeline, projects, fun reading....maybe let her run with it.

Very wise words, and just what I needed to hear!