Menu

Any good resources for learning how to sew?

I really, really, really, really, really want to learn how to sew. As in, I have 30ish (maybe more) patterns that I bought from Joann's 99 cent sales :D Did I mention I really, really want to learn?

I know how to thread my machine, sorta. And sew in a straight line, sorta. Are there any books or videos with really good instructions about following patterns, putting in a pleat, sewing on zippers? I've used YouTube to make some progress, but got stuck on the step that required me to put bias tape on the neckline. I thought it went on the outside, but apparently it goes on the inside:glare:

Videos would be preferred as trying to learn something hands on through reading is very difficult for me. It would be helpful if I could see what I was doing.

I love Sewing with Nancy shows, too. She is on PBS still, with a different project each week (& she sells all the supplies at Nancy's Notions website).

Another, more low-key way to begin is to mend various rips and tears of your family's clothes. The thought process is the key to sewing successfully, and mending is cheap & usually quick . . . with a big payoff.

Another easier avenue is to alter clothing you buy at Goodwill (or in your own closet) that doesn't quite work. This young woman got "famous" blogging about her daily alteration of a different thrift-store garment. Just looking through her entries gives me some creative ideas.

http://www.newdressaday.com/

Yet another option is to have a sewing friend you can SHOW your in-progress projects too. I have two friends at church who are better seamstresses than I am . . . and I am thrilled when they can give me specific pointers that save time (& money). We work together to help alter various wedding clothing for those in our church family, too.

I love to sew, but my now-20yo dd was motivated to learn to sew costumes (LOTR, Jane Austen, etc.). Hobby Lobby is a lower cost source of fabric, but the fabric is usually the most expensive part of the project.

The local dealer of your sewing machine may help you get your machine to work . . . but they are just as likely to try hard to sell you a NEW one. Be forewarned!

I just wanted to chime in to encourage you--learning to sew is a great summer project. :001_smile:

Edited by Beth S

Just sew something. That is how I learned. My mom helped me pick an easy pattern, showed me how to run the machine and then left me. I skipped a lot of steps (bias tape, turning seams in, etc) but I made pj pants.

An a-line skirt with elastic waist is easy. I have learned a lot just by reading the patterns.

Sewing for Dummies is a helpful book.

When I get stuck, I Google the step (adding a zipper) and then just watch videos for that step.

There are actually three or four ways to put bias tape on a neckline, so don't feel bad about choosing one way or the other! The nice thing about sewing is that you can decide which method you prefer, or do something else entirely. I think you're coming along just fine. Youtube is a great place to start! Another great resource is www.patternreview.com. It is hard to navigate, but full of very, very experienced people who will answer your questions. Check out their message boards - there's one for beginners.

You might also want to study ready-to-wear clothes to see how they are constructed. It can be very helpful to reverse-engineer these garments to get ideas to use in your own sewing.

Sewing is like cooking - as a beginner, you follow recipes/patterns, but as you gain experience you can begin to make up your own dishes/clothes. Enjoy!

I wouldn't start out with a pattern! Unless you can take a class, or work with someone who knows how to read them, they can be very confusing!

I started off with simple tutorials. They usually have step by step instructions with real life pictures and really helped me. You will get confidence with each thing you sew, and it is so fun too!

This is one of the very first things I sewed. Very simple with all straight lines, and it actually turned out decent enough for a gift even though I really had no idea what I was doing yet lol.

http://blog.christyscreations.com/tea-wallet-tutorial/

And here is my very favorite simple pj pant tutorial. (not mine, just my fav!)

http://madebypetchy.blogspot.com/2008/06/tutorial-10-minute-trousers.html