Menu

Fleas, weevils and maggots oh my!

In the last 48 hours I have battled:

Fleas on foster kittens - I think they are too tiny for meds so I washed them in 7th Gen dish soap, used a flea comb and rinsed them off. They are now clean and fluffy but I don't think that is a permanent flea solution.

Weevils in my pantry - I threw out the suspicious food containers. Infestation started in a paper bag full of masa flour. Washed pantry with 7Th Gen dish soap (hmm? a trend) and then put down a thick layer of diatomaecous earth. I am airing the pantry for a few days and then I will vacuum out the de.

Maggots - Someone (I suspect the dog) hid a tomato in the dining room under the table. Probably a week ago. Yes rotten tomatos do smell bad, why do you ask? :lol: It was flat, oozy and covered in maggots. yeech. I scrubbed the area rug with 7th Gen dish soap and then covered with a layer of baking soda. I will let it dry a day or so and then vacuum.

I don't use pesticides (one chemically sensitive kid) so I hope the dish soap, de and baking soda can cut it.

I need a hug

Sounds like a week at my house!

I hate to tell you, but the only way we ended up eradicating the weevils was tearing out the kitchen. I found a bunch of the little @$-&;! on a bay leaf, like it was a &:$-)! weevil Mardi Gras float. :glare: Martha Stewart lies.

:grouphug:

You have icky bugs! Wanna hear my bug story from last night. My kids think it is hilarious. So dd12 goes to put the dogs out for potty last night. A moth the size of a hummingbird flew into the house. This this is huge. I say to the kids get the butterfly net, we have to get it out before it dive bombs us. Before I say the word 'us' it dive bombs ds13. It hit the table and vanished amongst all my school papers and books I had spread out to plan.

SO I start cleaning up my mess to find hummingbird sized moth. I reach over to pick up the lego tower that ds13 is saving and see a huge crab spider on it. Okay have I mentioned in the past I am terrified fo spiders. Did you know when a crab spider gets scared it rears up at you like a crab?

arachnophobia + crazy rearing up spider = mom running away screaming that the spider roared at her & children laughing hysterically.

Once I calmed down I used butterfly net to catch spider so I didn't have to get close and got it outside. Children then make body motions with their arms to look like crab spiders rearing up while I keep moving papers/books around. Finally uncover moth, catch it and put into butterfly net with caterpillar brought home the other day.

So now I have a moth and a caterpillar in the house in a butterfly house. Thankfully crazy spider is no where to be seen.

:grouphug:

You have icky bugs! Wanna hear my bug story from last night. My kids think it is hilarious. So dd12 goes to put the dogs out for potty last night. A moth the size of a hummingbird flew into the house. This this is huge. I say to the kids get the butterfly net, we have to get it out before it dive bombs us. Before I say the word 'us' it dive bombs ds13. It hit the table and vanished amongst all my school papers and books I had spread out to plan.

SO I start cleaning up my mess to find hummingbird sized moth. I reach over to pick up the lego tower that ds13 is saving and see a huge crab spider on it. Okay have I mentioned in the past I am terrified fo spiders. Did you know when a crab spider gets scared it rears up at you like a crab?

arachnophobia + crazy rearing up spider = mom running away screaming that the spider roared at her & children laughing hysterically.

Once I calmed down I used butterfly net to catch spider so I didn't have to get close and got it outside. Children then make body motions with their arms to look like crab spiders rearing up while I keep moving papers/books around. Finally uncover moth, catch it and put into butterfly net with caterpillar brought home the other day.

So now I have a moth and a caterpillar in the house in a butterfly house. Thankfully crazy spider is no where to be seen.

:willy_nilly:

How do you use d.e. on the puppies? Do you rub it into their fur? :bigear:

Yep! If they have long hair you will want to cut it shorter so that the d.e. can get in close to the skin. You will have to use it a couple times to get rid of them as the eggs hatch.