Menu

For those that drive a Suburban

Mine has 86,000 miles and our mechanic says that in his experience they often last beyond 150,000 miles. With that being said, ours will last another 3-4 yrs. It's been made for approx 100 consecutive years which is the longest period of time for any other American vehicle.

I really like the Suburban and would gladly purchase another previously owned 'burb.

We're looking to buy one of these used but are interested in figuring out how many miles are "too many" for us to buy.

So, if you drive (or have driven) a suburban how many miles were you able to put on it?

We will drive it until it quits, I am sure.

Thanks,

Marie

Our first one I totaled around 140,000. Our second blew out its rear-end around 170,000. We could have repaired it but it would have cost us $2000 just for the parts so we opted to buy another instead.

Basically, it will last you for as long as you are willing to continue to keep putting $$$ into repairs. You have to decide which way benefits you better financially. So when the engine or transmission dies, will it be worth the money in the long run to put new one's into it or purchase another newer to you model. Our 170,000 suburban we had replaced the engine in it around 140,000. Had we known then that it was going to continually leave me stranded with small children while dh was out of town we probably would have opted for a newer to us model then.

Hope this helps.

Shenan

We have a '94 with about 130,000 miles on it. We bought it on the recommendation of a mechanic friend who also owned one. He said that they go about 200,000-300,000 miles depending on year built and maintenance put into it. Both he and other Suburban owners we have talked to said that at about 150,000 - 200,000 miles theirs all needed "new" transmissions which ran them about $2000 installed for a refurbished one. We have also been told the engine is relatively cheap to replace.... about $2000 installed for a rebuilt.

We have had some problems with ours recently, but we think they were mechanic-caused and not indicative of an overall model problem. We put about $2500 of repairs into the engine, alternator, cv boot, new hoses and belts, and intake manifold. (There were a couple of other things, but I can't remember... just the price. :D ) We should be good for another 150,000 miles now... although we are keeping an eye on the transmission given the stories I mentioned above.

I'd buy another Suburban in a heartbeat. We are actually looking into converting ours to diesel then biodiesel. I think it would be a great candidate for the conversion, but we need to do some more research into that before we commit. :001_smile:

We're looking to buy one of these used but are interested in figuring out how many miles are "too many" for us to buy.

So, if you drive (or have driven) a suburban how many miles were you able to put on it?

We will drive it until it quits, I am sure.

Thanks,

Marie

Where are you? I've got one for sale. It has the bench seat in the front, so it seats nine.

We sold our 2nd one to a guy my DH works with. He just got rid of it for 800 and it had over 250,000 miles on it!

They last almost forever it seems. I do a ton of road trips by myself from Michigan to Minnesota, so DH has been wonderful about trading them off when they get about 120,00 miles or so...If I didn't take those trips alone, I am sure we would drive them longer.