Menu

What do your 2yos like to do?

I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble - he's my 4th. You'd think I would have this figured out by now.

I will be making preschool baggies with info from Paula's archives. I am also going to make play-doh. I need other ideas for him. He loves to paint and he thinks he's 7.

Thanks.

a sandbox! Great with trucks, shovels, dishes, etc. And if its dry out--not too bad cleaning him up afterwards (just a little brushing off). It is terribly hot out though in some locations. Play dough with cookie cutters is a hit around here as well. :001_smile:

My dd LOVES to play in sand. She also loves to play in my bins of rice and wheat berries. I'm thinking of getting something like this for her to play in this fall when we're schooling. Maybe beans in a kiddie pool?

I have a dd, so this may not apply, but mine loves to "cook" for us and make us tea. She has a tea set and a "kitchen." She'll do that for quite a while.

She loves to "shop" with her shopping cart. She drives it around the house and picks up things she wants. Keeps her busy!!

There's more, but if I don't feed my kids NOW they'll die (or so they tell me).

Unfortunately, mine likes to climb on the stair railings and throw things. :confused: He is my 6th and he's unlike all of my others at this age--or I have momnesia and just don't remember that they were nuts. LOL!

He's VERY rambunctious and his interest isn't held for long. But he does love GeoTrax and matchbox cars (I would love to do a bean or rice box for him like I did for my other kids but he'd probably just take handfuls and whip them across the room. *sigh*)

He won't color for very long...he does like puzzles, though.

I'm extremely stressed when I think about trying to homeschool my oldest who will be a high schooler this year!!! lol

One of our favorite "projects" - a large piece of sandpaper and various pieces of yarn. dd loved to make designs with the yarn on the sandpaper - this kept her busy!

We kept a craft caddy and little table that dd could use at any time (things like paints were kept out of reach and only used with supervision) - tape, paper, glue stick, crayons, etc. Things that weren't too messy, but could keep her occupied for a bit. I think she was closer to three when we did this, so it might not work for a two year old!

DD loved to play with cups and water - I'd fill a small dishpan about 1/3 full of water and give her some measuring cups (and tried to keep her on a towel on the kitchen floor!)

I made baggies for my dd too - they are linked here.

The sandbox is GREAT. My two are out there right now and not fighting!! We've had a lot of success with Geotrax because he feels like a big boy when playing with them, but he can operate them by himself. They are the only thing that he will do for an hour at a time.

Besides those two things, he just walks into wall and fall off of beds. That seems like a pastime of his.

Thanks so much for the ideas! I ran out of rep after thanking the first couple people who responded but I'll try to remember to thank you properly tomorrow. I want to spend this week getting "preschool" organized so that ds has things he likes to do to keep him busy while I'm busy with the older ones. He'll be 3 in October.

Thanks again!

We had plastic tables in the yard (end tables -- perfect height for the kids). Each kid had his own. I'd put a tub of no-name brand Cool Whip on the table along with little bottles of food coloring. The kids would mix the colors in and finger paint with the whipped topping. They had a blast and I hosed everyone and everything off when they were done.

The boys also liked to dig. So I let them dig a mud hole with some old spoons, which became huge over the years. If it wasn't raining, I'd let them fill it with water. They had a blast.

They loved picnics outside, so if it wasn't raining they'd eat breakfast and lunch out there.

Basically, in the summer, all messy things were done in the back yard so I could hose the kids off before they came inside.

My kids loved their Little Tikes kitchen and accessories. The boys got it for their birthday when they turned 2. They had fun with it for years.

I'm glad I found this thread! I have a dgd who will be 3 in Dec and we want to include her in school this fall. I'm currently hsing my dd who will be 13 on Mon. Now if it were just that easy to find something for a 15 mo old to do!