Menu

If your state has subject exit exams

When do you have your DC take them? My state currently has an Algebra exit exam required for high school graduation, and while DD could get around it if she's homeschooled all the way through and we stick with a cover school model, I'm not confident that she won't want to go back-and schools in the area tend to require testing into high school classes if you're coming from homeschooling and aren't starting as a 1st semester freshman taking the typical schedule.

DD is working on algebra quite heavily now-she's a couple of books into Key to Algebra on her own, using Painless Algebra, the Algebra Survival guide, CK12, and her college-age gymnastics coach (who apparently is taking college algebra in the summer session, so DD is demanding to go to the gym early because she discovered that her coach is doing homework in that time, and DD will sit there and work through the problems with this 20 yr old nursing major) as resources. I don't think she'd be ready to take the algebra Gateway at the end of this year (I'm assuming it would come after Algebra II), but I'm wondering if, maybe in a couple of years, if I should go ahead and have her take the exam when she's done algebra more recently. I can easily see that if she works on Algebra now, and goes into a lot of different math classes that she might have more trouble on an algebra placement exam at, say, age 14 than she would at age 10.

Would it be reasonable to plan on having her take the Algebra Exit exam when she finishes a solid Algebra course, even if she's only officially a 4th or 5th grader at the time? If I do so, am I then effectively accelerating her whether I want to do so or not?

Make sure you check your state's requirements, because California will not let students sit for the Algebra 1 exam until 7th grade. I know a bunch of kids who had to take the Algebra 1 & 2 exams the same year because of that requirement. This only pertains to students enrolled in a virtual charter, however, as those who file the Private School Affidavit are not required to pass an Algebra 1 exam.