Menu

Your top ideas for pre-K!

redsnapper

My dd4 is in the pre-reading stage. This summer we've started going through "100 Easy Lessons" for learning to read. Which means I want to have some fun pre-K activities for her to do this summer and into the next school year.

What are your favorite pre-K ideas? :bigear:

I'm thinking things like crafts, projects, book projects (like reading The Cat in the Hat and doing an art project to go along, etc.), and more!

Since I'll have a 4tha and 6th grader I can't spend too much time focused on pre-K, but I want to do some things now that she's ready for it.

So hit me with your best!

~ Melissa :bigear:

You could look at Scholastic when they have their next Dollar Days sale- they have some really great things! Other than that you could maybe just pick a theme for the week (this week ours is bugs:)) and gets several library books about it. HOD's Little Hands to Heaven is pretty simple and cute, but it won't give you art projects tied to a specific book. They do have some good, quick activities.

We used moving beyond the page- just the first unit of 5-7 for pre-k. It was so much fun, we did habitats, and spent lots of time at the zoo, weather (with the free preview of RSO Earth and Space weather unit), community (and went on field trips to the grocery store and fire station), and then the human body quickly (RSO preview of life). It was SO much fun, and those few things took all year.

I like doing Five in a Row, but we do it ultra- simple! Just the book and the TM for discussion or occasional activities.

My dc also really like Literature Pockets from Evan Moor. They are more crafty, with lots of color, cut and paste.

You can also find TONS of free unit studies and lapbooks at homeschoolshare.com. Most of them are based around a book (like The Cat in the Hat), so that would give you some ideas for related activities.

A 4yo can tag along pretty well. Print out another coloring sheet for during the reading of the history lesson (or playdough or legos work well for that time). Let him add in the food coloring for the chemistry project or whatever. And I do agree with Five in a Row.

However, I got some great stuff off of pinterest for my 4yr old. He just isn't going to be able to do the amount of seat work big brother and sister can do. Confessionsofahomeschooler.com has a LOT of stuff, some is free but you can get a whole year (PLUS!) for pretty cheap. Rather than use different ones for every week, you could laminate a few for continued use. TONS of free stuff available though. Havefunteaching.com has word family worksheets which could easily be laminated for continued use also. Quiet time activities (felt boards and the like) are good. Sensory boxes/boards are also good. For example, I'll probably have my 4yo do his letters in salt, shaving cream, etc. Geoboards are a good individual activity as are pattern blocks. They do make folder games for this age you could buy and put together. And on another thread was this link: http://www.busybeeactivitybags.com/products.html if that level of work would be appropriate. I like the idea of being able to BUY some because making enough can be hard.

Seriously, pinterest is your friend!

Of course, you'll also find apps and websites to use. I have lost my kindle, but I think the kid app is Moodle. abcya.com is free. My 5yo like Reading Eggs. You can consider something like abcmouse.com but there is a lot free.

:)

My pre-K twins are enjoying connect the dot pictures (ABC or 123) and then coloring. I will also draw shapes and then they will cut them out and glue them on construction paper to make a collage (and learn their shapes). I've also been saving any kind of cardboard boxes and letting them paint them. A more expensive but popular activity has been sticky mosaics from Alex and Orb Factory.

My little ones LOVE storytime (we have gone to the public library story time since they were babies) & my middle one loves audiobooks, too!!! I just organized a felt story busybag group so we would have a few different felt stories to use in our storytime at home. You should join us! Look up Busy Bag Exchange on Facebook :)

We aren't super crafty (they color and draw and playdoh, etc, but I don't initiate craft activities very often). We have loved Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K materials and All About Reading pre-level for letters and sounds.

eta: We are also starting Five in a Row in the fall. Super excited about that!