Menu

On-line Foreign Language Classes for High School

My daugther is a 13-year old, rising eighth grader. She has been taking weekly Russian lessons with a Russian teacher who comes to our house for the last three years. Florida state universities are not accepting tutors as sufficient for foreign language credit anymore. I know that she could take a high school level Russian class right now and do fine, but Florida Virtual School does not offer Russian. Are there any accredited on-line schools that offer Russian? I'm really struggling with this, as to me, it looks as if she won't be able to put Russian on her transcript until she's eligible for dual enrollment at the community college.

Thoughts very much appreciated.

Staci

Is this to meet admissions standards or to validate courses at the university level?

Would the colleges accept work under a tutor if it there was some kind of a test score to back it up? (With German, there are AP and SAT 2 tests as well as a the tests put out by Goethe Institute, which are tests for German as a second language. Is there any kind of a certification she could earn in Russian that would allow her to be viewed as meeting the language requirements?)