Menu

How different are the foster/adopt laws in various states?

I'm learning a lot about them in my state, and I have a friend with two boys adopted through our state, but it's 99% likely we won't be in this state when we do adopt. I know I'll be researching the new state's laws like mad, but for now I'm just curious if they are at least generally similar across the country or if I will be starting from scratch. (I don't know where we'll be then. Grad school and such first.)

I can tell you what they are in my state of Victoria, Australia;

Child has to be at least 2 years younger than your child

Has to have own bedroom

One parent has to be not working for the first year after the child is placed in your family

whole family has to be in agreeance, whole family has to go through extensive screening.

child usually has been in the foster system for 2 years while their legal status is worked out, going from home to home. child is then matched and placed in family, this process can take up to 2 years after placement, then a further 2 years for permanent order/adoption to go through.

During this whole precess, you have to be on some form of birth control and are not allowed to get pregnant for 12 months after a child is placed with you.

There are many more families hoping for a placement than children who come available here.

We have been through all the training, and have the empty bedrooms, we have been waiting for 9 months so far.

The basics will be the same or at least very similar. There will be some difference that are huge though!

For us, one big difference was just a slight wording in the law. We were getting licensed in Washington, to get my niece who was in custody in Oregon. We had to work within both states laws.

Yes, the basics of fostering (and then adopting) will be quite similar. The details will differ.

For example, you'll not be able to spank any child in any state (I'm fairly sure) However, here, you are not allowed to have him wash out the pants he soiled (think child who has been potty trained 3 years, not a learner) where other places consider that simply a logical consequence (make a mess, clean it up). You'll do fire drills. How often and how involved with depend. One place wants you to actually practice using the window ladders. RIDICULOUS! In a fire, using it is the least dangerous of the options. Without the fire, it is irresponsible, imo.

Oh, and then there will be things like agency vs state standards. For example, our agency says a baby can stay in your room until 12months of age while the state says later.

OH, and tons of caseworkers never follow their own rules. Here, a caseworker is supposed to come every month. It has been three and the baby's hasn't come since her placement. And honestly, if *I* were the caseworker, I would have simply because we were under investigation a couple times! I'd want to make sure that baby was in a safe home!

I can tell you what they are in my state of Victoria, Australia;

Child has to be at least 2 years younger than your child

Has to have own bedroom

One parent has to be not working for the first year after the child is placed in your family

whole family has to be in agreeance, whole family has to go through extensive screening.

child usually has been in the foster system for 2 years while their legal status is worked out, going from home to home. child is then matched and placed in family, this process can take up to 2 years after placement, then a further 2 years for permanent order/adoption to go through.

During this whole precess, you have to be on some form of birth control and are not allowed to get pregnant for 12 months after a child is placed with you.

There are many more families hoping for a placement than children who come available here.

We have been through all the training, and have the empty bedrooms, we have been waiting for 9 months so far.

These requirements are for adoption from foster care? Wow! When you say there are many more families than children does that mean there aren't many children in foster care in Australia or that there are few children available for adoption?

I hope to become a foster parent after my daughters are on their own. Unfortunately in Texas there are so many children who need foster care.

The real basics will be the same but many things will be different. Relinquishment/termination of rights will be different in each state regarding what has to occur and how long it will take. The homestudy will have different requirements...one state I was in wanted a fire extinguisher on each story, another recommended a fire extinguisher in the kitchen but didn't check. One state measured each of my rooms the other said as long as there were individual beds. States have different laws on opposite gender children sharing a room some say 3 some 5 some have no age. So I do think you will need to research to see exactly what is needed for the homestudy.

These requirements are for adoption from foster care? Wow! When you say there are many more families than children does that mean there aren't many children in foster care in Australia or that there are few children available for adoption?

I hope to become a foster parent after my daughters are on their own. Unfortunately in Texas there are so many children who need foster care.

There are very very few children available for permanent care orders/adoption.

There are lots of foster children.