Menu

Winterpromise Users Please Advice

Ladies and possibly gentlemen-

I am using WP this coming year for what will be a 5th grader and 8th grader. I am using the American Story 1 for the 5th grader because she loves crafts and activities and this program is full of them which is a benefit.

I was thinking of ordering the American Crossing for the 8th grader but if anyone is familiar with this program or both actually, could you share the main differences with me and if there is any way I could beef AS1 up enough for the 8th grader in order to save some $$$$ this year? Do they essentially cover the same content and info.?

Thanks in advance bunches!

I used AS1 when my kids were 1st & 3rd, so I don't have any advice about using it for older kids. You could do Crossings for them both, and if you want more hands-on, just order the craft/map books used in AS1. There's an awesome site with complete curriculum schedules from which you could draw ideas, substitues, and add-ons: http://www.guesthollow.com. The author generously shares her plans & ideas for free. I used it a lot the year I tried WP.

Thank you ladies both for the comments. Duhhhhhh....silly me never once thought about using American Crossing for them both instead. Don't know where my head was. :001_huh:

Well should I end up going that way, at least I got AS1 and it's contents cheaply enough used and can just keep it or resell the parts. AS1 looked good for 10 year old because as I mentioned, she loves crafting and doing all the hands on that program offers. Where as I don't think her 13 year old brother would care one bit about that aspect of any program. Right now he's all about gunslingers and the wild west.

I found the Winter Promise FAQ on American Crossing interesting: http://www.winterpromise.com/american_crossing_faq.html. They don't recommend American Story 1 for above Grade 3, but do suggest All American 1 if you have older and younger kids. All their reasonings is in the FAQ. I was wondering if American Crossing would work for younger children which is how I came across the FAQ.

I found the Winter Promise FAQ on American Crossing interesting: http://www.winterpromise.com/american_crossing_faq.html. They don't recommend American Story 1 for above Grade 3, but do suggest All American 1 if you have older and younger kids. All their reasonings is in the FAQ. I was wondering if American Crossing would work for younger children which is how I came across the FAQ.

Thanks for this. In all the hours I've spent pouring over their site, I didn't even see this. :confused:

I did All American this year with a gr 6 and gr 1/2. It was pretty good. I do not like the style of the series of bios they used (Daniel Boone and Narcissa Whitman are off the top of my head) but its just personal preference there.

I never do any program as written but I like the book suggestions and I love the Time Traveller cds from AA.

I think if you want to bring a gr 8 along you could toss in the Hakim books and expect more writing.

Thanks for that input my dear. I am really thinking I can beef up AS1 since I purchased it used and simply love WP and can't afford to buy much directly from them. Most of the books they sell I either have or can find elsewhere dirt cheap at used book sales, etc...

I personally love the Daniel Boone and Narcissa Whitman books-the style is what I love the most about them. This is what makes home educating so wonderful, we all have differing opinions and can share them without(hopefully)worry of attack.

Did you know you can buy something called All American 1 from WP & it covers grades 1-7. You can also get a highschool add-on for it, all though I suspect if you use AA1 you'd probably be fine with what's in there.

We used it last year & fully enjoyed it. :)

Just thought I'd chime in and say we're new to Winter Promise this year after pining over their catalog for years. We are using Adventures in the Sea and Sky for 1st, 3rd & 5th graders. Sea & Sky is meant for older grades, so we have the young learners guide (not very useful) and I am picking up related, grade level reading for the little ones from the library. There is so much in the guide we can't even get to!

I will second guest hollow, and say I really Ike WP's language arts programs.

Did you know you can buy something called All American 1 from WP & it covers grades 1-7. You can also get a highschool add-on for it, all though I suspect if you use AA1 you'd probably be fine with what's in there.

We used it last year & fully enjoyed it. :)

This is the route we are taking too the coming year!

This is the route we are taking too the coming year!

I knew about the All American 1 program as of last week. Sadly, our budget is tight this year and I have been blessed to have gotten AS1 used even though WP asks you not to resell their exclusive items like the Guides or even offer to give their exclusives free with the purchase of the other program books that aren't exclusive. I don't agree whole heartedly with that but I understand why they ask that since they put so much work into their program. On the other hand, us on a tighter budget need to get what we can within our budget.

Anywho....that is why I am trying to make AS1 work for the going into 8th grader as well. I think I can if I beef up some of the reader items. I fell for WP and really want to use it this year with them both.

I knew about the All American 1 program as of last week. Sadly, our budget is tight this year and I have been blessed to have gotten AS1 used even though WP asks you not to resell their exclusive items like the Guides or even offer to give their exclusives free with the purchase of the other program books that aren't exclusive. I don't agree whole heartedly with that but I understand why they ask that since they put so much work into their program. On the other hand, us on a tighter budget need to get what we can within our budget.

Anywho....that is why I am trying to make AS1 work for the going into 8th grader as well. I think I can if I beef up some of the reader items. I fell for WP and really want to use it this year with them both.

It shouldn't be too hard too beef it up. You could even try to get some of the time traveler CD's used for not much money. You could also look at the books WP uses for the older crowd and try to get them from the library. You could google projects for that period and free stuff finding things his age. You can also look at Guest Hollow blog she has a ton of ideas and even a bunch of free stuff to print.

This is Guest Hollows free American History. It looks really good. I plan on using it along with American Story 1 next year. http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanhistoryindex.html

ETA: If you sign up for A Journey to Learnings newsletter you get a free 17th century lapbook that looks really good. http://www.ajourneythroughlearninglapbooks.com/ I thought it would be a nice go along.

Edited by teeniebeenie6