Menu

How much do you pay for a dental cleaning

Insurance covers the doctor portion of our visits twice a year, and full x-rays once a year, so I don't know about those. One dd gets extra cleanings (just the cleaning), and those are $42. We also have to pay for the second set of x-rays each year, and those are about $40. They offer fluoride, but I can't remember how much it is. It seems like it is cheap, but I've always declined. HTH

Hmmm, maybe I should look around for another dentist. We don't have insurance this year and the kids' cleanings were $200 each (cleaning, dentist took a quick look, fluoride, some kind of x-ray but not the full set)

Plus, one son's tooth fell out during the cleaning and they charged $140 for an extraction!!!

We have been going here for years--I don't recall being so poor after a visit before!

I'd call to dispute some of the charges, especially $140 if they didn't actually do an extraction. Our dentist had dd pull a tooth out during an exam and didn't charge for it. Whether you stick with your current dentist or not, try asking for a "treatment plan" before any work is done. Our dentist does this for everything. Basically, it is a print out listing the procedure, charge, projected insurance contribution, and my projected payment. I sign it before they do anything. They can tell me beforehand what each individual item will cost. I really appreciate that.