Menu

LLATL colors/levels...help!!

kailuamom

If my ds already knows his letters and is sounding out words (he is in Explode the Code 2 and about half way through OPGTR), what level would he be in for LLATL? I have never used the program before and am a lost in all the "colors" of the series! I don't want it to be overly challenging, but not boring, either.

We're currently using the Blue level (the first one-First Grade level, although I'd say it's more of a K level). In the Blue book, you start with all the individual letter sounds, sounding out CVC words, then move to consonant blends, then to long vowels/vowel blends (we're on this now). In conjunction with this you also learn to write all the letters. From your description it sounds like your son is a little ahead of this-so Red (the Second Grade level) might be right for him.

But I would check the samples on the website to be sure.

If you started him now, yes, he'd start in Red. But, if it were me, I'd just wait until he can read well and put him in Yellow.

The Red Program is just too expensive for my taste. Now, if you can find an Older Version Red book, then I think it may be worth it.

I had the same situation, but got a GREAT deal on Sonlight LA 2, so I'm using that this year. Next year (3rd grade) he will do LLATL Yellow.

If my ds already knows his letters and is sounding out words (he is in Explode the Code 2 and about half way through OPGTR), what level would he be in for LLATL? I have never used the program before and am a lost in all the "colors" of the series! I don't want it to be overly challenging, but not boring, either.

It helps if you think of them more as "levels" instead of "grades". It can get confusing if your trying to line up the grades with the colors! But, for the most part, they go kind of like this:

Blue (K/1st--beginning reading, beginning phonics)

Red (1st/2nd--intermediate reading and phonics)

Yellow (2nd/3rd--reading, spelling, beginning with parts of speech, beginning punctuation, book studies)

Orange (3rd/4th--book studies, beginning grammar, intermediate punctuation, newspaper unit, research paper unit on a state report, poetry unit, speech unit)

Purple (4th/5th--book studies, more grammar, higher level of punctuation with commas, semi-colons, special units on research, poetry, speech)

Tan (5th/6th--book studies, higher grammar with diagramming, research essay, poetry)

Green (6th/7th--more diagramming, book studies, a really good poetry unit, and research papers)

Gray (7th/8th--book studies, writing units on Narrative Paper, Persuasive Paper, Compare and Contrast Paper, Research, commonly misspelled words, lots of grammar)

The lower grade is for those who are more advanced and the upper grades is what Common Sense Press recommends each level is. There's a lot more in each level: dictation, narration, copywork, spelling (although I'm not a big fan of it), and good exercises in thinking skills.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, everyone!! You have all helped a great deal. I will check out the samples, but it sounds like most of you kind of affirmed what I was thinking...of maybe skipping right to red (if not waiting until yellow to start).

Thanks for responding!