Menu

Bought WRTR, now what? (Spalding help)

Irishmommy

I had looked at Logic of English and really wanted to use it next year, but in the end, I decided it was just too expensive. I then ought WRTR, but am wondering what all I need to teach this. I saw on the Spalding website that there are manuals for each grade level, are those necessary? I can't get a feel for what the note ooks are supposed to look like and what all you are supposed to write in them. Does anyone have pics of their notebooks? I am a very visual person!

All you need are the individual sized phonograms and notebook from here: http://spalding.org/store/instructional.php. The pink one is for K-2 and the blue one is for 3rd and higher. You can also buy the spelling assessment manual if you want. You do not need the teacher manuals. They are big, bulky and expensive. Everything else they sell is also optional.

I did purchase both the K and 1st grade to look at them since it helps me as well. I returned the one that didn't have a mark within it during the return period and received a credit no problem. I did have to pay for return shipping. It was helpful, but Ellie is right they are not needed. I'd only get them if I was using all the components (Reading, Grammar and Spelling).

Another helpful idea is to cut the spine off and three hole punch the pages. The binding won't last long when you teach from the book. You can separate the handwriting instructions and last half and make yourself a "teaching" binder. I just put mine all in a big binder with sheet protectors due to the little ones I have.

I have the 6th edition of WRTR. Samples of the K-2 notebook are on page 229-234. The intermediate notebook page samples start on 235-251. Chapter 2 is going to give you a lot of information on how to teach the phonograms, handwriting, and includes sample dialogues. Get a highlighter, notepad, and a drink and start reading!

Realize that at a certain point it might not make much sense, but you just have to do it....it really does work out. I've made plenty of mistakes in forgetting parts of the procedure during our lessons and mixed things up enough that sometimes I wondered about the whole thing! My dd has the routine down now and she did learn to read from this method with no problem.

And if/when you get really stuck, there's always Ellie or another Spalding wannabe geek who can help you out if you post!

Hope that helps!

Edited by BriannaG

I can't get a feel for what the note ooks are supposed to look like and what all you are supposed to write in them. Does anyone have pics of their notebooks? I am a very visual person!

The pages are supposed to look exactly like the samples in the WRTR book. There are 8 rule pages and then there are the actual spelling lists (words with markups and rule numbers mentioned beside them).

Copied from this page:

Rule Page 1 (Rules 1-7).

Spelling Rules are found on pages 222-225.

After primary children have learned the first forty-five phonograms (see pages 213-218), systematically introduce and write each section of rule page 1 on chart paper or the board. See p. 53 for older grades. See pages 54-57 for directions and script.

Rule Page 2 (Rule 8)

Before primary children write the word over in sections A-G start rule page two. The word over is found on page 259. See pages 58-59 for instructions.

**Written Sentences from the Writing Lesson (pages 86-89) should be started in between these two rule pages and after children have written A-G section words in their notebooks. Refer to ** in the Writing Lesson.

Rule Page 3 (Rule 9 and 10)

Teach primary children rule 9 just before writing the first derived word in the notebook (setting in section K p.287 of the Extended Ayres Word List). See pages 60-63 for instructions.

Rule Page 4 (Rule 11)

Teach primary children rule 11 before they write coming from section K p.287 of the EA Word List. See pages 63-64 for instructions.

*** In the Writing Lesson the parts of speech are taught beginning with section L. Refer to *** in the Writing Lesson.

Rule Page 5 (Rule 12)

This spelling rule is taught to primary students as needed to spell Ayres words. For grade two, write the column headings ie, cei, and ei says “a” on chart paper or on the board. Add words containing these spellings as needed, beginning with field in section L on page 295 of EA Word List. See pages 65-66 for instructions.

Rule Page 6 (Rule 13-16)

These spelling rules are taught to primary students as needed to spell Ayres words. Write ti, si, and ci on chart paper. Add words containing these spellings as they are met, beginning with the word question in section N page 308 of the EA Word List. See pages 67-70 for instructions.

Multiletter Phonograms (Notebook Page 7)

For primary children, write multiletter phonograms on chart paper, an easel, or the board when introduced. Have children occasionally read the phonograms from the chart as an alternative form of practice. Have children participate in practice activities on page 71.

Additional Phonograms (Notebook Page 8)

Students in grades four and above write additional phonograms on page 8 of their notebooks (see pages 250-251). See pages 71-72 for instructions.

Also see Ellie's posts on Spalding on this forum.

ETA: I have posted more links that I found helpful in this post.

Edited by nansk

I had looked at Logic of English and really wanted to use it next year, but in the end, I decided it was just too expensive. I then ought WRTR, but am wondering what all I need to teach this. I saw on the Spalding website that there are manuals for each grade level, are those necessary? I can't get a feel for what the note ooks are supposed to look like and what all you are supposed to write in them. Does anyone have pics of their notebooks? I am a very visual person!

In order to teach Spalding, you need the manual (WRTR), a set of phonogram cards, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. The teacher guides (the manual is WRTR) are really more useful for a classroom.

If your dc are 8 (3rd grade) or older, they will write the Rule Pages in their notebooks, and then they will write their spelling words in them (instructions for this are in the manual, and samples of how the rule pages look). If your dc are under 8, the spelling notebook is optional; you write the rule pages on large poster board (the kind that looks like notebook paper) for reference, and they write their spelling words on notebook paper, although they *may* use a spelling notebook.

I have been reading the book, but it seems a bit disjointed to me. One page was talking about teaching the first phonograms and the all of a sudden it was talking about handwriting.

That isn't disjointed at all. :-) The correct writing of each letter is an important part of the Spalding Method; it's why handwriting is included in the spelling lesson.

Thanks all those links are VERY helpful!

The pages are supposed to look exactly like the samples in the WRTR book. There are 8 rule pages and then there are the actual spelling lists (words with markups and rule numbers mentioned beside them).

Copied from this page:

Also see Ellie's posts on Spalding on this forum.

ETA: I have posted more links that I found helpful in this post.

Maybe it is just my mind that is disjointed, HA! Are the spelling rules written one per page? Maybe I should finish reading the whole book first!

Yes, you should finish reading the whole book first. :D

There is never a time when anyone writes the rules. The children learn them (and so do you), and when they apply, and they recite them aloud (repeating after you). :)

Edited by Ellie

I have been reading the book, but it seems a bit disjointed to me. One page was talking about teaching the first phonograms and the all of a sudden it was talking about handwriting.

IMO you are going to have to read the book a few times before you get the feel of it. It also helped for me to study the table of contents so I understood what they were trying to say in each section and where they were headed, otherwise I agree that it seemed disjointed.

IMO you are going to have to read the book a few times before you get the feel of it. It also helped for me to study the table of contents so I understood what they were trying to say in each section and where they were headed, otherwise I agree that it seemed disjointed.

Oh, absolutely.

Remember that a *beginning* Spalding class is almost 40 hours long. So, yeah, you're gonna have to study the manual before you can teach. :)

Well, I have all summer to study and get ready for the fall. I will have k, 2nd, and 6th grade students. I figure I will take them all through the program. My 6th grader already knows how to read, but would greatly benefit from the writing and spelling instruction!