Menu

What to use to teach setting, characters, etc.

I've realized that we have a great big hole in our homeschool where teaching about literature should be. What do families use to teach setting, characters, etc. ?? We have grammar, copywork, writing, reading/phonics covered. None of them cover what we are missing. Help!

Christine

17yod - Belhaven High Scholars dual-enrollment

9yod

7yod

6yod

6yogs (grandson)

4yod

2yod

I love Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews.

:iagree:What I love about this is that Mr. Andrews uses picture books to begin with and teaches the parent how to apply the same techniques to any book. At a convention workshop I attended he used A Bargain for Frances as a tool to teach these topics. It was amazing.

http://centerforlit.com/

http://centerforlit.com/Materials/TC.aspx

If you don't have the funds for Teaching the Classics, you could get Deconstructing Penguins - your library might even have that one! I'm reading it now and it's good. I have looked at Teaching the Classics and it's definetly on my list but probably in a few years.

Also, I've seen Figuratively Speaking recommended, though I haven't used it.

I've realized that we have a great big hole in our homeschool where teaching about literature should be. What do families use to teach setting, characters, etc. ?? We have grammar, copywork, writing, reading/phonics covered. None of them cover what we are missing. Help!

We're starting CLE Reading next year to cover these holes.

I see that Teaching the Classics has DVDs and workbooks. Are the DVDs necessary? Could I teach it with just the workbook and get the DVDs later?

I have both. I like watching someone and having a book/syllabus to follow. The syllabus, to me, is essential for the questions in the back. You could probably get by with just the syllabus, as it does contain the texts he reads plus an overview of his lectures, but the DVDs do have a bit more discussion that has been helpful for me. Probably not much help. ;) I do better when I can watch/listen to someone explain it to me rather than just read it.

Yes, you could probably get by with just the syllabus, but the DVDs really are worth watching. There's so much more than is in the syllabus. Maybe you could buy them with a couple of other moms (one of whom has the ability to burn dvds) and split the cost. It's a very simple but effective method that you can use with whatever curriculum you're already using, it will add discussion time, but not "work" to your schedule.

I debated on whether to get the DVDs or not. I got the syllabus for nothing from a friend (what luck :). I read through it twice and felt like something was missing - the DVDs. The book has loads of information, but I wanted just walk through of a book using their method. I had just finished Deconstructing Penguins and loved how they walk you through a book more than once. I was expecting the same for Teaching the Classics in the book, but it wasn't there. Eventually I'll get the DVDs (maybe), but for now I'm gleaning a lot from Heidi's blog. She's posted on this topic a few times. http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-detectives.html