Menu

Kindergarten math games

This is going to be my first full year homeschooling and my first year with a K'er and I have decided not to buy a math curriculum for him this year. We will be doing MEP math but I want to make math learning fun for him and was thinking I would do a lot of games. We will also be doing calander time, and he will have a calander time binder we will work on daily.

Also besides games what are some good manipulatives?

Carson-Dellosa Basic Math G.A.M.E.S. are great! http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/CarsonDellosa/PID-104188.aspx?CM_VC=10001

They are printed in full color on nice paper - tear out, laminate, and cut. For one kid you could skip the lamination.

We play with the abacus, forming groups to 10, recognizing at-a-glance groups up to 10, counting by ordinal numbers (first, second, third), counting backwards from 10 to 1 (ending with a BLAST OFF! and a jump off the sofa LOL), counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s splitting a group into half, etc.

Saxon Math K is activity-based, and so is Right Start A. I have gleaned activities from both of those, like printing the numbers 0-20 and working with my son to put them in order, playing with money, and others.