Menu

How to bless an autistic kid?

Our Vacation Bible School started last night. I'm a helper with the K-1st grade class. One of our boys, R, was obviously processing things differently and showing signs of distress. When I met his mom at the end of the night, she asked how he did, saying (somewhat apologetically), "I should have told you - he has autism." I assured her that he did fine, and I think he did. But I have no experience with the autism spectrum, questions about it, and haven't been able to find a helpful website - so I'm turning to the Hive.

R was showing what to me seemed like signs of distress - hands over his ears, tumbling himself against the two walls of a corner, and continuously chewing on his shirt as some examples. VBS is a loud, hyper environment - one that's supposed to be "fun" for kids. He did okay, but I don't know that it was "fun" for him. So:

What kind of environment does an autistic kid do best in? Should I try to shield him from anything in particular? How do I know when he's having trouble handling stuff? How can I best bless him then?

I'm pretty sure we won't be able to manage a best-case scenario, not having specially trained staff, but if I have an idea of what to shoot for maybe I can help things go better, you know?

TIA!

Mama Anna

My nephew brings a (a soothy) small buzz lightyear with him. When he gets overwhelmed he can stare at it and calms down. He is still listening and he hears everything that is going on, so don't believe for a second that he isn't getting the message of the VBS. He will just listen differently he might not look at the speaker, he might be mumbling under his breath, he might be sitting with his eyes clenched tight, etc.

Just know that you are supporting that young boy and his mother and smile and let things just flow. Don't necessarily single him out, but do give him and all the kids for that matter words of encouragement. Tell him you are proud of how well he sat through the singing time - because he most likely won't hear good things said about himself very often if he is in the school setting. I try to function with my nephew on a 9 to 1 ratio. Nine times I say nice, encouraging things to build him up and one time I speak redirection to him. Some days are hard, but we can see a marked difference with how he behaves at my home verses at other people's houses.

Just a few things off the top of my head...

Earplugs - If R. would tolerate them, then they may prove helpful during some of the louder parts, if you can tell that the loudness was a trigger.

Schedule - If R. is a reader then it could be written, otherwise you should use pictures. People with autism crave structure, and knowing what to expect beforehand gives them a chance to process what is happening and cope better. So, if you could hang something, that shows the plan for the day. For example, it may show the meeting/circle time, arts and crafts, snack, music time, etc. The schedules are usually made (with pictures or icons) from left to right, or from top to bottom in a sequence. Often, having the child remove the card after the activity is done, and placing it in an "all done" basket, helps "see" the schedule better. You can make one much easier than it sounds, with simple stick drawings, etc. I use velcro to attach to a strip of laminated paper. Hang the pictures in chronological order.

Transitions - Give a warning before transitioning. Don't just announce to put away the crayons and line up for the music rotation, for example. So, a few minutes before, announce that we'll be cleaning up in 4 minutes, so finish up. If you have an actual timer, that is sometimes helpful, too. Then, when it's time to actually stop one activity and move to the next, the child had time to anticipate it.

Quiet Area - If possible, make a space in the room, with pillows or beanbags, where R. could retreat if he feels the need for some space.

In order to give better advice, I'd need to know more about his language abilities, etc.

* I will say that the structure is probably the most important part. So, have a schedule and keep it the same each day, and make it visual for him.

Hope that helps!

Our Vacation Bible School started last night. I'm a helper with the K-1st grade class. One of our boys, R, was obviously processing things differently and showing signs of distress. When I met his mom at the end of the night, she asked how he did, saying (somewhat apologetically), "I should have told you - he has autism." I assured her that he did fine, and I think he did. But I have no experience with the autism spectrum, questions about it, and haven't been able to find a helpful website - so I'm turning to the Hive.

R was showing what to me seemed like signs of distress - hands over his ears, tumbling himself against the two walls of a corner, and continuously chewing on his shirt as some examples. VBS is a loud, hyper environment - one that's supposed to be "fun" for kids. He did okay, but I don't know that it was "fun" for him. So:

What kind of environment does an autistic kid do best in? Should I try to shield him from anything in particular? How do I know when he's having trouble handling stuff? How can I best bless him then?

I'm pretty sure we won't be able to manage a best-case scenario, not having specially trained staff, but if I have an idea of what to shoot for maybe I can help things go better, you know?

TIA!

Mama Anna

Oh, I wanted to add, that none of these things would have to single R. out from the other children. All children do well with structure, so having a schedule hanging for them, will serve all of them well. Same thing with the warning time for transitions. And a quiet area could end up being useful for different reasons, too. So, don't feel that any of this will make R. stick out, since it will just be how you're managing your class.

Great advice from Amy, I agree with it. My only extra suggestions are that it sounds like he was overstimulated. In large group or loud times you might offer to let him separate, go to the back or wherever it would be quieter. Don't expect things like music and singing together. If he is just watching, he probably needs more time to process and that is ok.

It is great that he is able to handle it and that you can give his parents a break.

One thing my son did when he was young to block out too much stimulation was to cover himself with a blanket. If he has self-soothing things he does at home you could ask his mother to enlighten you on what makes him the most comfortable.

I always made sure my hFA son took his blanket with him when we went out and encouraged him to use it whenever I saw him getting agitated.

Ear plugs would be great.

Just as an aside, my hFA son ended up tolerating VBS last year, much to my surprise. I, on the other hand, ended up curled up in the pew at the last little event which was for the parents, with my hands jammed over my ears.

When did people decide that loud noise and retina-burning colors are fun?:confused:

You need to ask the mother about her child. While the above suggestions are good, they are not for every child on the spectrum and may not work for every child or be necessary for every child. Ask the mother if the behaviors you saw are signs of stress (while they may be, there is a chance that they are not) and what other signs of stress you should be looking for. Ask her what works and doesn't for her child. Most parents of children with autism that I know would love to be asked and will provide wonderful information.

You've gotten good general advice, but I would also ask his mother what works best, what she'd like you to do, etc. What she did in just sticking him in the class is not uncommon but I think it comes from worrying that the child will be outright rejected if someone is told about the autism up front not from lack of knowledge about what helps. She may also have been reluctant to ask you to do anything extra. Once she knows you're willing, I'm sure she'll have lots of suggestions that work for her child with autism (as opposed to generally with kids with autism).

We have a boy who does our summer theatre camps. We have given him string, yarn, or ribbon to tie in knots. He also loved the rubberband ball. If the craziness of kids playing a game got to him, one of us took him on a walk outside, he looked for leaves amd rocks he liked. In a three hour camp, we walked him once an hour.

Thanks so much for your replies! What I'm understanding is that

1. I need to chat with his mother for specifics

2. Knowing what's coming next will be reassuring for him.

3. There likely needs to be a balance between not singling him out and meeting his specific needs. (Which his mother will likely be able to make more clear.)

Am I missing anything that tends to be true of the autism spectrum in general?

Mama Anna

If you're giving an announcement about cleaning up, lining up, etc. count to 20 before repeating or adding more info.

In general instead of saying a command change it to a statement of information. This is really hard to change, but it gives all the kids a chance to think and take one more tiny step toward adulthood.

Line up. vs. It's time to do ____. or Oh, I see we have 5 minutes before we need to leave for music and we have a table full of crayons to clean up.

:grouphug:

Thanks so much for your replies! What I'm understanding is that

1. I need to chat with his mother for specifics

2. Knowing what's coming next will be reassuring for him.

3. There likely needs to be a balance between not singling him out and meeting his specific needs. (Which his mother will likely be able to make more clear.)

Am I missing anything that tends to be true of the autism spectrum in general?

Mama Anna

And, as others have mentioned, having a quiet option for him if needed.

I would be careful talking to the mom though. People are so hard to predict! Maybe just a simple inquiry about what makes him feel at ease. I could image the mom having all sorts of negative reactions to being "quizzed" about her son.