Menu

If you are dairy free....

I take a supplement and eat other calcium rich foods like broccoli.

Thanks Dobela :) What kind of supplement do you take? I'm trying to go off of milk and I already don't eat much cheese, but I worry about my bone health for lack of calcium because I'm not a huge veggie fan. There are so many types of supplements out there and I've read some things about some forms not being able to be absorbed. :confused: It's all very confusing. How do you know which one will sufficiently protect your bones??

Our daughter is dairy free --she has a minor milk protein allergy and is severely lactose intolerant. This just started about 6 months ago. So no lactose in anything even medicines.

As far as getting enough calcium, we have a variety of milks, favorites are flax and almond. In addition there is soy yogurt. Also some juices are calcium fortified. We also started her on a children's calcium supplement since she doesn't drink a lot of the flax milk, just a glass a day. She also takes a daily enzyme to help so she doesn't get sick on small amounts of hidden (unlabelled) milk sugar in vitamins etc.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Dark green veggies have tons of calcium. I guess there is calcium in my multivitamin but I don't take a different supplement. I just had my levels checked and I am far from calcium deficient. Dairy has never been a big part of my diet and I have never found most dairy palatable so cutting it out entirely has not been hard.

Dark green veggies have tons of calcium. I guess there is calcium in my multivitamin but I don't take a different supplement. I just had my levels checked and I am far from calcium deficient. Dairy has never been a big part of my diet and I have never found most dairy palatable so cutting it out entirely has not been hard.

That's good to know. So by dark green veggies.... can you give me a quick list of which are best. Dobela already recommended broccoli. Also, how much do you need to eat of it to make sure you're covering your bases? Do you eat greens at every meal?

ds takes caltrate w/Vitamin D. Make sure to get a D supplement b/c w/o it, the body will not absorb the calcium.

He eats coconut yogurt and drinks coconut milk as well, both having some calcium added. Almond milk and soy milk and hemp milk also have calcium added. Also, broccoli, spinach, kale, and apricots are calcium-rich (as are all leafy green veggies, I believe). And I *think* brussel sprouts are as well, but we have never tried them.

Really?? Do tell. :) :bigear: I buy organic milk, but yeah it's bought in a typical grocery store.

Pasteurization of milk kills out phosphatase (and many other essential enzymes) in milk that are required for the body to assimilate calcium.

Pasteurization of milk kills out phosphatase (and many other essential enzymes) in milk that are required for the body to assimilate calcium.

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks for telling me.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel better about taking the plunge. I just worry about calcium because I'm a coffee drinker and I know it leaches the calcium out of your bones. I guess I'll have to acquire a taste for greens. lol :tongue_smilie:

That's good to know. So by dark green veggies.... can you give me a quick list of which are best. Dobela already recommended broccoli. Also, how much do you need to eat of it to make sure you're covering your bases? Do you eat greens at every meal?

I like this site for knowing the amount of nutrients in food

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45

I try to eat salads everyday (I fail a bit :lol:); I stick kale and spinach in berry smoothies