Menu

Preschool help?

Okay, so earlier today, my just turned four year old was terribly upset with me because I didn't have enough work for him. He's just a mess of a kid, really. He's very smart and is more advanced than my ds was 3 years older than him. But he has had some disadvantages, physical issues, an intention tremor, etc.

So I let him trace some shapes and he scribbled on the back of that sheet. He did well with the star and circle; but after those two, he struggled with the other four. He said his hand hurt after those 6 and a little scribbling on the back. But when I told him it was okay, he could play, he got upset.

So I planned to teach him to read...slowly. And he can easily tag along with FLL, history, science. I think he'll enjoy it to the degree he can. Cool. He *loves* geography. But I think during sit down work (math, handwriting, WWE, etc) he may get plenty frustrated with me. He wants to do so much more than he's really CAPABLE of doing.

Soooo, I'm looking for ideas.

:bigear:

We are using PAL reading with ds3.5 and he loves it! There are plenty of file folder games that he could play all day if he wanted to! He also does the R&S ABC preschool workbook series, and he started some math (using a lot of manipulatives). He is also begging for school work much earlier than my older 2 did.

Sometimes the need for information exceeds the stamina for handwriting.

We've gone to computer based learning very early here to provide more input. Also, there are lots of puzzles available that teach concepts along with just putting the pieces together- planets, life cycle, etc. We use different shaped blocks and counters. Magnetized anything is a hit here. Various writing media from crayons to magnet boards are also well used.

"More School" -- activities not requiring writing/hand manipulation

- How about doing the pledge of allegiance each morning, getting to take turns holding a small flag?

- Learn a song a week -- folksongs, traditional child songs, simple songs in other languages... Check out the "Wee Sing" collections.

- Have a few read-alouds that are "only for school" -- some gentle picture books and beginner reader books on science and history topics, etc...

- Do a series of circle time activities -- weather, calendar, days of the week, learning to recognize his first and last name and phone number, counting activities/manipulatives, etc.

- Play some fun educational games.

- Do a Letter of the Week activity.

- Do a science experiment a day from "365 Simple Science Experiments with Every Day Materials" (Churchill/Loeschnig/Mandell) -- and the equally good sequel "365 More Simple Science Experiments...."

- Pattern Blocks and 1-2 worksheets (he reproduces the image) = http://prekinders.com/pattern-blocks/

- Have him experiment with cuisenaire rods, geoboards, fraction circles, multi-link blocks, and other math manipulatives and tell you about his discovery.

"More School" -- activities not requiring writing/hand manipulation

- How about doing the pledge of allegiance each morning, getting to take turns holding a small flag?

- Learn a song a week -- folksongs, traditional child songs, simple songs in other languages... Check out the "Wee Sing" collections.

- Have a few read-alouds that are "only for school" -- some gentle picture books and beginner reader books on science and history topics, etc...

- Do a series of circle time activities -- weather, calendar, days of the week, learning to recognize his first and last name and phone number, counting activities/manipulatives, etc.

- Play some fun educational games.

- Do a Letter of the Week activity.

- Do a science experiment a day from "365 Simple Science Experiments with Every Day Materials" (Churchill/Loeschnig/Mandell) -- and the equally good sequel "365 More Simple Science Experiments...."

- Pattern Blocks and 1-2 worksheets (he reproduces the image) = http://prekinders.com/pattern-blocks/

- Have him experiment with cuisenaire rods, geoboards, fraction circles, multi-link blocks, and other math manipulatives and tell you about his discovery.

:iagree: These are fabulous ideas. Also, if you need him to work on something while you work with others, we have had great success with the Kumon books -- like My First Book of Tracing, which has them practicing the same strokes needed for writing and Let's Cut Paper, which is great fine motor practice. I find that waiting until my DC are older than the minimum age for these books helps greatly with their frustration level. Your DS is a good age to start these.