Menu

ANTS HELP!!!

I have ants in my CLEAN dishwasher!!

I don't have them anywhere else..I sprayed around the cabinets and door with Home Defense Max a month ago and I have not seen any ants until now and they are IN my dishwasher...there are no dirty dishes in it!!!

What can I do to get rid of them?!?!?!?

I used that Home Defense stuff and I found that it just moved the ants to a different entrance.

I put some peppermint essential oil and water in a spray bottle. They aren't too fond of it. Every time I see ants, I spray them. It doesn't seem to totally get rid of them, but it slows down their progress.

Don't spray poison.

If you have any liquid soap (especially Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap) mix some with water in a spray bottle and spray the ants. This will kill them on contact.

If it's a long term problem and you need to kill the colony, the best way is to make either boric acid (or borax) and sugar solutions that workers can take back to the colony. This method is quite effective and the least toxic solution.

Bill

Don't spray poison.

If you have any liquid soap (especially Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap) mix some with water in a spray bottle and spray the ants. This will kill them on contact.

If it's a long term problem and you need to kill the colony, the best way is to make either boric acid (or borax) and sugar solutions that workers can take back to the colony. This method is quite effective and the least toxic solution.

Bill

Yep, any dishsoap you have on hand will work.

Jet

Maybe just run the dishwasher on Pots/Pans and see what happens...they probably won't like it:D

:lol: I found this VERY funny!! Too bad you can't actually SEE what happens.

I use this liquid poison called TERRO. (It probably is just a liquid version of borax and syrup recommended in the posts above) You put a few drops on one of the squares you can tear from the box, and put it where you see the ants and leave it. You could probably do this in between washes unless you have a big family and use the dishwasher daily. It will attract a few, but they will carry the poison back to the colony. My husband also sprinkled some powdered ant poison around the house for a double whammy!! This has worked great for the little black ants.

Our big problem is the fire ants in our yard. They are trying to take over the place. We just can't seem to get rid of them. My son is allergic to fire ants, not deathly allergic, but enough to cause discomfort and swelling at the bite site. I wish the TERRO worked on fire ants, but as many as we have I would need to buy a bucket of the stuff!

Sue

Our big problem is the fire ants in our yard. They are trying to take over the place. We just can't seem to get rid of them. My son is allergic to fire ants, not deathly allergic, but enough to cause discomfort and swelling at the bite site. I wish the TERRO worked on fire ants, but as many as we have I would need to buy a bucket of the stuff!

Sue

I don't where you live, but I live in Texas. I think it is the fire ant capitol. We use Amdro (We buy it at Lowes or Home Depot). It is a granual that you sprinkle around the ant hill. They will take it into the nest and it will kill the queen. I may not kill all the ants but after the queen is dead, they will move. Just keep chasing them out of your yard. As soon as you see any signs of nest building, cover them with Amdro.

I don't where you live, but I live in Texas. I think it is the fire ant capitol. We use Amdro (We buy it at Lowes or Home Depot). It is a granual that you sprinkle around the ant hill. They will take it into the nest and it will kill the queen. I may not kill all the ants but after the queen is dead, they will move. Just keep chasing them out of your yard. As soon as you see any signs of nest building, cover them with Amdro.

Thanks, Samantha!

I'll pass this info on to my husband. He's tried different poisons, but I don't know if Amdro is one of them. I don't know how our neighbor will like this idea. They might head for her yard. Hey! Wait a minute. Maybe she's already chased hers into our yard and that's why we have so many!:glare: Oh well. Maybe if we keep them on the run, they'll eventually move across the road where they won't be bothering anybody!:D

Sue

in

NC