Menu

Anyone use just a list of words for spelling?

I found a few lists of words for spelling for my upcoming 6th grader online. I was wondering if anyone did spelling just using lists of words, and how you schedule it. I am trying to save money in any way I can, and one way is by not buying a spelling book for this year since my oldest is a fairly natural speller.

If you have done this, how does it look in your day to day (or week to week) schedule? Do you have them look up definitions and write sentences using the words? Then test them on each Friday? How many words do you use each week?

Thanks! :001_smile:

My elder dd used Kathryn Stout's Natural Speller. I gave her a list of words to copy one day, then tested her on the list the following day. We did this twice a week. Spelling came easily to her, so this method worked well. She went through several grade levels of words in one school year, spending maybe 15 minutes a day.

We use a combination of Sequential Spelling words and graded lists off the internet daily. We use the SS style and move on once a word has been mastered. Now, my guys are not great spellers so we've been working on getting them up to grade level. And have been successful with the two I started early.