Menu

Stupid question. Kindle or netbook?

I'm thinking about getting some kind of "web browser" for my husband for father's day. When he's on the computer he usually hits sports sites, watches horse racing and reads newsletters of all types. He's not interested in an iphone and an ipad is out of my budget. I was thinking about perhaps a Kindle which he could also use for reading books, but don't know about the browsing, etc.

Here's my stupid question: Is the Fire the only one that you can use to browse the web?

I've read about the problem of not being able to password protect the Kindle Fire; my dh is a little scattered and takes the bus to work, so that is a concern unless it has been fixed. My other choice would be a refurbished netbook. I don't think he would use the device much where there was no wi-fi. What do you think would be the best (and cheapest) option?

Thanks!

Rene

We have both the Kindle Touch and a Netbook.

You can browse the web on the Touch but the print is very, very small. You can enlarge it but you have to keep moving it back and forth to see things. I like it because I can slip it into my purse and it is not heavy.

Browsing the web is much easier on the netbook. You can also get an app so you can read Kindle books. You can also hook it up to some TV's so you can get a large monitor. I cannot stick it in my purse but it is not that difficult to carry.

I don't know about the Kindles, but I'll add my experience with a netbook. I had one, I loved and adored it size and portability. It died in 18 months. I'm still miffed because dh went without a Christmas gift and spent more than he should to buy it for me. The motherboard went out and our repair man said because of how netbooks are set up they can short out very easily.

It was an HP, we've had HP products for years. In fact the laptop that the netbook replaced is still working, although in its geriatric years, so it wasn't necessarily the brand. I ended up with another HP laptop. The netbook was perfect for me, but it was a lot of money to put into a product that lasted just over a year.

If he's going to be using it while traveling or just to check stuff online, I'd look into a tablet computer, like the Fire.

Edited by elegantlion
saving a kitty

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Fire! I have a Macbook and love it but I must say...my Fire is my go-to more often than not when I just need to check email or FB. AND, I love reading on the Fire. It also has the added benefit of the game apps for the kids. And it is portable :)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Fire! I have a Macbook and love it but I must say...my Fire is my go-to more often than not when I just need to check email or FB. AND, I love reading on the Fire. It also has the added benefit of the game apps for the kids. And it is portable :)

I don't know about original OP but you just sold me on it!:001_smile: