Menu

Nothing like a small appliance FIRE to jump-start your am...

So, we are cooking waffles this morning in our ancient toaster oven (this thing was given to us by my mother's neighbor who had it for more than 20 years!). I'm putzing around, trying to get everything together for swim practice this morning, when ds10 looks over at the toaster oven from our table and says very calmly, "Mom, the toaster oven is on FIRE!". Low and behold...toaster oven is in flames on my counter top (thank GOD there was nothing near it to catch!) and what do I do? Start blowing on it! Duh! Well, I got the flames down so I could unplug it and then douse it w/ water. I know...dumb thing to do since it was electrical, BUT I DID unplug it first! Phew. Fire out. Waffles are quite crispy and soggy. Toaster oven is well...toast. :lol: My heart is just now starting to slow down. Anyway, thought I'd share our excitement. Better than coffee!

Ok, I think I can top this. I was still sleeping. I heard popping noises, looked around, didn't see anything, went back to sleep.

A few minutes later, it was much worse...looked around again...the electricity had gone out the night before. The iron (off) had gotten knocked in the floor. When the electricity came back on, however, the iron (which has auto shut-off) came back on, face down, on its own cord.

Fireworks. Right next to the bed, between me & the door.

I don't think we're getting our deposit back. :001_huh:

Ok, I think I can top this. I was still sleeping. I heard popping noises, looked around, didn't see anything, went back to sleep.

A few minutes later, it was much worse...looked around again...the electricity had gone out the night before. The iron (off) had gotten knocked in the floor. When the electricity came back on, however, the iron (which has auto shut-off) came back on, face down, on its own cord.

Fireworks. Right next to the bed, between me & the door.

I don't think we're getting our deposit back. :001_huh:

Okay, you beat me! Glad you're okay! :)

I've seen four toaster ovens in flames over the years. They just seem to catch fire too easily. I've never owned one because of that.

Michelle T

I think it was really my fault for not cleaning out the crumb tray more often. It was quite a mess. Those crumbs can catch fire easily. I'm wondering now if we should just invest in a good 4-6 slice regular toaster. Hmmm....

A few years ago I started a fire in the microwave in the break room at work. I used a paper plate, and didn't realize it had some silver foil decoration on it. The plate flamed up, but I got to it in time so it didn't cause any damage to the microwave. I think my food was ok too. :tongue_smilie: