Menu

Intro to Waldorf Form Drawing?

Hi there,

I feel like I would like to understand a little about this technique and how to teach it, and even the philosophy of it (up to a point!).

I am looking for online videos or anything where I can get the picture for what form drawing for kids is and especially about the teaching of it. Or, downloadable instruction books. I can't order regular books.

any suggestions? I did find one online source but it did not give a preview and other sampled work was not specific in the way I am seeking. The video I found on youtube was a little too funky for me.

Thanks a lot for any leads!

It's okay to bump. I just don't have anything for you. I only have a couple resources and they were not enough to get me started, and were not downloads.

Form drawing, at least for me is sequential, and I guess for me needs a substantial curriculum, and a lot of time devoted to it. I gave up for now.

A Little Garden Flower has an online form drawing seminar. I've really been happy with their stuff. It's been very complete and affordable. http://shop.beaconmama.com/Form-Drawing-Intensive-908.htm

I had the Christopherus form drawing book a few years back, but it got packed away by mistake and put in storage when we moved. It was very well done, though. I'm not sure if Donna has any e-books, though.

This guy is very well respected in the Waldorf community (as far as I can tell).

Umsami, I too will check out your links. Thank you.

Writerdaddy, one thing I have done in the past, is turn our cursive handwriting studies into form drawing borders. For example when practicing "o" I'll have the student draw a string of "o's" around her paper, and then embelish the strings and color them in. I'm not sure if that would work for you :-0

A few minutes ago, I just got an email from A Little Garden Flower about the course. Lots of good info, so I'm going to paste it here. It actually made me want to sign up. LOL

Form drawing verse, hold up thumb, index & middle fingers, straight arm:

Three companions who always serve,

To help me draw straight lines,

To help me draw curves.

Let's chat about one of my favorite subjects. Form drawing. It is often forgotten and generally undervalued, but definitely DO-able in EVERY Waldorf home. I often find myself needing to convince moms that it is indeed important and it doesn't have to become "yet another thing" they have to learn. It is so much simpler than that.

Most of us can't bring eurhythmy to our children - either cost or location becomes an issue with that one, but all of us can bring them form drawing. Form drawing also works on the etheric or life body. It is one of those things that we don't often see the fruits from right away, but when done consistently, with care, preparation and practice on our part then the results can be amazing.

Our new form drawing intensive workshop is great way to really understand and embrace form drawing. I thought I would share a bit here...

WHY Form Drawing Audio link - http://waldorfessentials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WHY.mp3

Form drawing can bring so much to us as well as our children. I have been using it as a tool for inner work for many years. I find it can really calm the anxious mind - on those days when I can't settle down enough to meditate, I'll do form drawing first, slow myself down - lol, like the supplement GABA only without needing to actually put something in my mouth. It calms the over worked brain.

So much can be done beyond the main lesson with temperaments and special needs children. A good friend of mine also has a teen on the spectrum and she often recalls the benefits of working full body with the forms. I have experienced the same. Like knitting and other crossing the midline work, form drawing is incredibly therapeutic.

Want to learn more about form drawing? Check out our online intensive Form Drawing Workshop. We have special launch price of $32! That is a steal. We have about 100 forms to carry you through the years and beyond your main lessons, 2 hours of video to help you see it in action, audios to help you with presentation and understanding of the HOW & WHY of form drawing. There is even a mini ebook for using form drawing in your own inner work as well as working with temperaments, special needs and more!

Do you already have our first edition of form drawing? Well guess what?! We have an upgrade just for you! Hop over to the store and see :) And if you are part of our awesome Thinking Feeling Willing program, well then you don't have to worry about it because it is included!

Oh, before I forget, there is a special price! Through June 6th, this program will be only $32! As always, we are working to keep our prices reasonable.

Love & blessings!

Melisa

I have her CD, but it just wasn't enough alone, with no book or schedule. It's $20.00 for the upgrade of the new additions. Hmm...we'll see :-0 I promised myself I was going to cut back on spending. I think I'm just going to keep doodling cursive letter strings around the borders :-)

Don't know the philosophy of it but google images gave me this page, so I opened an oversized sketchbook I have and sat in the floor with my son and did the first grade patterns with him, me on my side of the book he on his both with a stubby fat crayon. A couple paterns he didn't quite nail like the mandala (I don't know what it's called in Waldorf- the square with the loops in the corners). He lost it on the fourth turn. It will be interesting to see how this excercize influences his drawings in the near future. At least he learned a way to draw a star!

http://millennialchild.com/Slideshows/SlideshowsIntro.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...