Menu

Seeking Simple Spine :) 7th gr, Ancients - MA

I'm looking for the perfect text (spine) which, of course, does not exist, but I would love to know if there is something out there I haven't viewed.

- for 7th gr., so SOTW is too young;

- for Ancients through 1200 (we have a 3-yr history cycle);

- a traditional text - not a guide, like History Odyssey, but rather a true spine resource.

Mystery of History is too cluttered and 'chatty,' Human Odyssey (Spielvogel) is too dense; Kingfisher is too much of an outline, not enough of the interesting stories; etc., etc.

I want a basic text and prefer a narrative style - I wish for a middle school version of SOTW! I don't want a text that intends to be comprehensive, ala public school texts. We truly use the text as a reference - spine - and the bulk of our History reading and learning is via good literature.

For the older students, I have chosen BJU's World History 3rd ed. It is a good length and level of overview. A middle school version of this text would be ideal, if that helps anyone send me in the right direction!

SOTW is too simple, BJU's History text is too advanced . . .something that falls in the middle is what I need.

Thanks for any ideas you have! I know I can piece together various resources, but I would prefer to have one reference text for our year.

Leslie

My list of requirements is very similar. We're doing Rome to early middle ages this year, in 6th grade. DS is a voracious reader. I've resisted SOTW for a variety of reasons, but just purchased 1&2 second hand and I think I'll just turn them over to him to read at his leisure. Meanwhile, I have the red Kingfisher, which I find too fragmented and sparse. I use and quite like Van Loon, but I'd really like Will and Amy Durant's history set. Both are available free online. I've not used the Durant one, but Van Loon's has a reasonable pace, is intelligently written and drops relatively few cultural clangers given its age (I have the updated version). Because we are Steiner homeschoolers, I often use Charles Kovacs' little books. I like his Roman book better than I liked the Greeks last year. Its the only book I have that covers Marius and Sulla, my favourite part of Roman history.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

D

I'm looking for the perfect text (spine) which, of course, does not exist, but I would love to know if there is something out there I haven't viewed.

- for 7th gr., so SOTW is too young;

- for Ancients through 1200 (we have a 3-yr history cycle);

- a traditional text - not a guide, like History Odyssey, but rather a true spine resource.

Mystery of History is too cluttered and 'chatty,' Human Odyssey (Spielvogel) is too dense; Kingfisher is too much of an outline, not enough of the interesting stories; etc., etc.

I want a basic text and prefer a narrative style - I wish for a middle school version of SOTW! I don't want a text that intends to be comprehensive, ala public school texts. We truly use the text as a reference - spine - and the bulk of our History reading and learning is via good literature.

For the older students, I have chosen BJU's World History 3rd ed. It is a good length and level of overview. A middle school version of this text would be ideal, if that helps anyone send me in the right direction!

SOTW is too simple, BJU's History text is too advanced . . .something that falls in the middle is what I need.

Thanks for any ideas you have! I know I can piece together various resources, but I would prefer to have one reference text for our year.

Leslie

Have you looked at K12 Human Odyssey? (This is not the Spielvogel book.) There are three volumes, the first of which covers ancients (roughly to 500 AD).

Have you looked at K12 Human Odyssey? (This is not the Spielvogel book.) There are three volumes, the first of which covers ancients (roughly to 500 AD).

Human Odyssey on Amazon

Amazon doesn't have a look inside for this book, but here is a WTM thread where some samples are posted (scroll down until you see the attachments):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158963

This is what I used in middle school as a narrative alternative to SOTW instead of Kingfisher. There are three voulumes total. The first one gets you to basically 1400. The second volume goes up to 1914 and then the third gets you up to "today." We loved it! If you do an advanced search on this board and the K-8 board for "K12 Human Odyssey" and "k12HO" you'll find a ton of threads with all sorts of opinions that might help you get an idea of whether Human Odyssey would work for you.:)

Edited by Jen+4dc

If you want an overview, I like the Prentice Hall World History.

I saw these ...

World History, Modern Era - 1300 +

Medieval and Early Modern - Ancient times through the Reformation

Also consider these, which I have used ...

World Studies, Ancient World

World Studies, Medieval Times to Today

If you like the science series, you will like the World Studies series as well. There are quite a few books that will enable a good coverage of geography and history. The World Studies historical overview books serve as a great spine, and can be used by themselves to provide a quick overview and study while investigating the people and cultures.

I have the k12 one for the 20th century--haven't seen the Ancients one, but boy, I'm LOVING the one I have. Based on that, I wholeheartedly recommend the series.

Just another suggestion--Have you seen Barron's History The Easy Way? It's a paperback text, and there's one for the Ancients period. At the end of every chapter is a list of people and places of importance, a few quiz questions, some light essay questions that you could use for further research...We used it as a sometime supplement for Omnibus 1 in 9th grade, but it's definitely more of a 7th/8th grade text, imo. You can see them at Barnes and Noble if you want to take a look.