Menu

Help! Calling all serpentologists! Need identification!

Found my cat boxing this snake out by our pool. It is tiny (about 6-7 in) and looks like it is a baby maybe. It didn't bite kitty and doesn't look like it has fangs. I have it under glass while I try to identify. All I can come up with is baby rattlesnake (gasp) or corn snake. I am no good at this id stuff so need the hive mind experts! I want to know what it is so I will know how far away to relocate it. Help! :ohmy:

IMG_0954.jpg[/img]

IMG_0950.jpg

I am relieved!! I'll let him go....far away from the patio so he can live happily away from my kitties. Our lanai is screened but sometimes the baby Black Racers come up through the rock runoff area. The kitties are not kind to snakes to we are used to rescuing them. This is the first time we've had one like this.

Thanks so much for setting my mind at ease!! :D

Just so you know for future reference, in the United States all venemous snakes have a pupil like a cat's eye, except the coral snake. You can remember the coral snake by the rhyme: Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.

Just look at the snake's eye, not the shape of its head to determine if it is a danger. Some non-venemous snakes have the wide triangular shaped head of pit vipers for protection, but their eyes give them away.

HTH.

Just so you know for future reference, in the United States all venemous snakes have a pupil like a cat's eye, except the coral snake. You can remember the coral snake by the rhyme: Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.

Just look at the snake's eye, not the shape of its head to determine if it is a danger. Some non-venemous snakes have the wide triangular shaped head of pit vipers for protection, but their eyes give them away.

HTH.

You rock! Thanks for sharing this info. Now I just have to memorize the coral-snake rhyme. :)

Many of our venomous varieties also have a yellow-tipped tail when they are young.

I would personally be happy to have this corn snake under/around my house. He won't get big enough to bother your cats, but he will keep mice away. If I could pick my co-habitating reptiles I'd choose your corn snake (to eat the mice), a king snake (to eat other/venomous snakes) and a crew of green anole lizards (to eat spiders).

HTH.

Thanks! I had no idea! I'm going to keep that info handy! The little guy is free and happy in our backyard now. :)