Menu

Which Physical Science and World History?

I am attempting to purchase ahead for when my ds will be is 10th and I am trying to decide between 2 curricula for him. He is dyslexic with short term memory and word retrieval issues. He learns best with a multi- sensory format with much repetition. For science, I am torn between Ace Physical Science w/ DVDs or Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Integrated Chemistry and Physics w/ Chemistry 101 and Physics 101 DVDs. For World History , I am comparing Paradigm's World History course and Power Basics World History I-III. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? What worked best for your child? Did he enjoy it and have good retention of material? He will have finished MUS Algebra at that point , but struggled through it.

I have the PowerBasics workbooks for 1-3 and like them a lot. I had thought about having my dd do them along with our geography this year (sort of a multi-faceted approach), but I don't know if we'll get to or not. It still hasn't all come together in my head. Anyways, I think the Power Basics stuff is very nice for what it is. There's synthesis, a bit of creativity (skippable obviously but there when you want it), and they'll learn something. To me the workbook really makes it. So that's the world history.

On the physical science, I can only tell you that I finally gave up on regular textbooks and decided I would just do the *labs* from a physical science course with her. I have a couple lab manuals now. (BJU's and another PH Concepts in Action). If you want a simpler physical science text, the PH Science Explorer text is more accessible. Actually, someone was just telling us about the Tiner Integrated Physics/Chem text that's supposed to be really good. I think I read that in the thread I had on the hs board some months ago asking about science options for a history lover (ie. a non-science person). I *think* they said Timberdoodle sells it.

Try google books or CBD for samples of stuff.

If I can't fit the Power Basics stuff into our year somehow, I'll be selling it off. Like I said, I like it enough to use it myself.

Subbing. I need a World History for my rising 9th grader and what we have been doing in the past will NOT cut it anymore. He is not dyslexic, but has some pretty significant learning delays.

I haven't heard of either of these but will be taking a closer look and waiting for others' responses.

Dawn

I don't see any World History for high school with this program. Am I missing it?

Dawn

I've been looking at the Intellego Unit Studies on currclick.... anything hands-on seems to "stick" with my 11yo Aspie.

Like OhElizabeth, I also have many of the Power Basics items on my radar...