Menu

EnVision Math...

Dd will be 8 and wants to attend our local ALE for a few more out-of-the-house classes. Any thoughts on EnVision math grade 3?

:bigear:

Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(x-post)

This is my hybrid approach for Dd8/grade 3. Our local ALE is moving near our house. Aly is excited to take a few more classes 2x/week at this little public school for homeschoolers. She currently takes science and LOVES it. Not sure if we will stick with the literacy & math. It will be an add-on to our main programs.

CLE Bible 3, The Action Bible

WWE3/WWW3/MCT Island

homegrown lit & non-fiction

Beast, SM 4A wb, SM 3 cwp/ip, HoE, MM Fractions (finish), TT6 for review

CBoUSH

Science Fusion, EE, EiE, homegrown electronics course

Enrichment classes at ps 2x/week: Social Studies, Science, Literacy, Math (EnVision), Art

Mandarin class/tutor/BetterChinese

Piano & Violin lessons

Tennis

4-H FLL Robotics team, OMSI labs/classes

Dd will be 8 and wants to attend our local ALE for a few more out-of-the-house classes. Any thoughts on EnVision math grade 3?

:bigear:

Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(x-post)

This is my hybrid approach for Dd8/grade 3. Our local ALE is moving near our house. Aly is excited to take a few more classes 2x/week at this little public school for homeschoolers. She currently takes science and LOVES it. Not sure if we will stick with the literacy & math. It will be an add-on to our main programs.

CLE Bible 3, The Action Bible

WWE3/WWW3/MCT Island

homegrown lit & non-fiction

Beast, SM 4A wb, SM 3 cwp/ip, HoE, MM Fractions (finish), TT6 for review

CBoUSH

Science Fusion, EE, EiE, homegrown electronics course

Enrichment classes at ps 2x/week: Social Studies, Science, Literacy, Math (EnVision), Art

Mandarin class/tutor/BetterChinese

Piano & Violin lessons

Tennis

4-H FLL Robotics team, OMSI labs/classes

Beth, our school uses enVision. This fall my son will be using enVision 3 (and Singapore 4A/B, Beast Academy, and others at home).

We've done enVision K, 1, and 2 at school, I've only glanced at 3. It is an OK program. Not awful, not great. They obviously looked at Singapore math and adapted some of it.

It serves us reasonably well as independent review. And math homework gets done fast. I think the approach is a little scattered as a "spine." It is like they have a "check list" of all the topics they want to get in, but have little sence of emphasis. But, given your children do math at home, it won't hurt them to see the topics again in a somewhat different style.

As long as you have reasonable expectations (at treat enVision as review) I doubt you will object. It is fine for this purpose.

Bill

Beth, our school uses enVision. This fall my son will be using enVision 3 (and Singapore 4A/B, Beast Academy, and others at home).

We've done enVision K, 1, and 2 at school, I've only glanced at 3. It is an OK program. Not awful, not great. They obviously looked at Singapore math and adapted some of it.

It serves us reasonably well as independent review. And math homework gets done fast. I think the approach is a little scattered as a "spine." It is like they have a "check list" of all the topics they want to get in, but have little sence of emphasis. But, given your children do math at home, it won't hurt them to see the topics again in a somewhat different style.

As long as you have reasonable expectations (at treat enVision as review) I doubt you will object. It is fine for this purpose.

Bill

:iagree:

DD has been using Envision since 3rd. It's ok. We also had some online access as well for reinforcement.

Bill

:iagree:

We only have experience with k and first. I am not impressed for the same reasons Bill stated, but it does attempt to teach conceptual understanding. We are also treating it as a review. I would not rely on envision exclusively.

Edited by Roadrunner

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/castingoutnines/tag/envisionmath/

some blog posts on enVision math from a mathematician parent with a child in school using this program. :001_smile:

I did not like the "near doubles" thing either, but to some degree it makes a mountain of of a molehill. First, learning doubles plus/minus one, is not that unusual or un-useful a thing to learn. Second, it is just one of a slew of methods kids get. The problem isn't that solutions based around "doubles plus/minus one" are taught, it is that strategies are not developed. It is a "let's throw it all out there and see what sticks" sort of program.

Bill

I did not like the "near doubles" thing either, but to some degree it makes a mountain of of a molehill. First, learning doubles plus/minus one, is not that unusual or un-useful a thing to learn. Second, it is just one of a slew of methods kids get. The problem isn't that solutions based around "doubles plus/minus one" are taught, it is that strategies are not developed. It is a "let's throw it all out there and see what sticks" sort of program.

Bill

I actually agree. I personally think this particular method of addition is confusing, mostly because I have never been exposed to it until now, but my kid thinks there is nothing strange about it. I just find the blog amusing. :tongue_smilie:

I wish somebody would write a good review of enVision upper grades (4,5,6), but I have failed to find anything thus far online.