Menu

Latin after 'Getting Started With Latin'?

The author of GSWL has a free online Latin class consisting of lessons and audio downloads here to follow up on GSWL. I don't think the course is complete though. We looked at a few options and ultimately decided on Galore Park's Latin Prep 1 for next year. Hopefully it will work out for us, as I have no Latin experience either. I plan on purchasing the audio CD and workbooks to accompany Book 1, although I don't think books 2 & 3 have accompanying workbooks or textbooks. I very seriously considered Henle, and if Latin Prep 1 doesn't work out, we'll probably go in that direction instead.

After GSWL, we continued with Henle. Smooth transition. This was 2.5 years ago, and I've recently added in Latin for the New Millenium, just the textbook and workbook (the TM seems prohibitively expensive), for extra reading material. It's a different style - half immersion, half grammar. This approach wouldn't have worked for us back then, but with 3 years of study, it's actually kind of fun now, but I think the fun stems from knowing some Latin.

When we started using Henle, FFL hadn't come out yet (I think, or maybe it did but I wasn't a forum member back then and therefore wasn't aware of this book) but I think I would have chosen this book, rather than Henle, as MP claims it follows it quite well.

Edited by crazyforlatin