Menu

I'm scared to eat my homemade jam... HELP Home Canners!!!

I just canned (with help) recently and made strawberry jam. Tonight we opened it, but I wouldn't let anyone eat it because I am afaid of Botulism. I suggested we feed it to the cat and see how he does, but they didn't like that idea.

Anyhow, we followed all the canning rules, but one lady told me you should have to use a can opener to open your canned items. I just dug my nails under the seal and popped it off. It wasn't super easy, but it wasn't super difficult either. Should I be worried?

Thanks for ANY help you can offer!

Michelle

I open mine with my fingernails as well.

If it's any consolation, I had the same worry with my first batch of jam. :-) Except I tasted it myself. It was pretty darn good.

We make all of our own jam now--strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, peach. Store jam just doesn't taste as good, and it's astronomically expensive!

Cat

If you heard it pop to begin with you are fine and if you had to dig under the seal with your nails then it was sealed. What you should be afraid of is the factory canned stuff. The father and brothers of a friend used to work in a jam factory, the stories they told.....

We have been eating the homemade stuff for years with the only problem being when it runs out.

What are the stories? Tell me!

It's fine! Toast some bread and dig in.

Refrigerate after opening if you prefer. Ours never lasted long enough to spoil.

If you ever do not hear the pop or if there is mold or an icky smell, dispose of it. The only one I had spoil was one without a good seal.

Pass me that jar, please. My toast is waiting. ;)