Menu

Need help finding good books with ethics lessons

Hive,

I have been asked to teach a class for 1-3 grade age kids that is basically an ethics class. Last year I did a bit of it and the kids really loved it. I could really use some help finding good books to read with the kids that have a message that we can discuss. Books I have used in the past include: Alex and the Lemonade Stand, Alexander and the Terrible..., The Giving Tree, etc.

What are your favorite "message" books? In particular I could use more books about making friends, standing up to bullies, sportsmanship, academic honesty. I am in the US now so I have a chance to pick up titles I wouldn't normally find in India.

Thanks!

- Cammie

There are "Sophie" books by Tori Cloud.

I am not sure if they are "deep" enough for what you are looking for.

Will try to think of any others...oh...years ago there were the "Bunny" books by Focus on the Family. They taught ethics in a framework of a bunny family. Perhaps they would be too young for 3rd graders?

http://www.amazon.com/Sophie-Sam-Tori-Cloud/dp/1591452996

http://www.amazon.com/Maybe-Right-Wrong-Guide-Thinkers/dp/0879757310/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338057330&sr=1-2

Edited by Liz CA

Does your library have this title Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories by Kilpatrick et al? I found it valuable when my daughter was younger.

There may also be a few titles in this thread I began last year.

Children's books showcasing characteristics are necessary to be a positive leader ...

Regards,

Kareni

Not a message book per se but my kids really enjoyed What would you do book when we did it and I plan to buy What do you think for next year. I found these both gave great avenues to discuss what to do in situations that might be confusing or dangerous. Some topics should be set aside for older kids but I found the book to be quite good.

If it is a religious group the Narrow way is an excellent book for character development.

For older kids/teens I recommend they broke the law, you be the judge My big kids are working through this book currently and love it.

I have not seen this book in person but it is one on my list of considerations for next year and this one is on my list for my ds8

Thanks, all. It is not a religious group - actually will have Hindu, Muslim and Christian kids in the class. Just looking for books that are a good jumping off point for issues that kids that age will be dealing with. Last year we had the most success talking about how to make friends, how to stand up to bullies. We also try and do some philosophy - just to stretch their minds a little. I do like the What Would You Do books.