Menu

DD broke her arm - Question about surgery?

Last Saturday dd broke her arm, radius and ulna both, about an inch from the growth plate by her wrist. They reduced it and put a cast on at the ER and told us to carry on with our plans for the week. Of course, our plans included a little road trip and they assured us it would be fine. Except dd's arm got swollen and we had to go to the ER there and they removed the cast. So, we came home 2 days early and went back to the ortho here and they re-casted it, but they had to manipulate the bones back into place .... again - this time without any sedation.

They have already mentioned that this break is in a very unstable location and there is a big liklihood of the need for surgery - this week just made it more likely. Even I could clearly see the movement on the x-ray between Saturday and yesterday. The dr. said the risk of not doing surgery is a reduction in the movement of the arm and wrist, but made it sound like a minimal loss. Honestly, the risks of surgery sound far worse to me - KWIM? I've had neck surgery and technically there is a loss of range of motion, but I don't notice it at all. I'm not sure where the balance lies between loss of function (minimal) and risk associated with surgery.

And let me say this - I worked in the medical field for years. I was a scrub tech for an opthamologist. I have held eyeballs from living people in my fingers. HOWEVER - this broken bone business puts me entirely over the edge. Just thinking about dd holding that arm and *knowing* that it was broken is enough to make me heave. I think ortho drs must be sadists after watching this sweet little female dr. yank on my little girls arm yesterday. Holy cow - I am not nearly as tough as I thought!

My daughter had to have surgery for a bad break just above her elbow when she was 6. We didn't have any choice, so I was spared weighing the pros and cons, but she did come through the surgeries (one to set the arm and put in the pins and one to take them out) with no problems.

:grouphug:

My mom just had surgery on Tuesday for a broken wrist. What is the ortho recommending? My mom had the option of trying a cast to see if it would heal (one of the bones was at risk of becoming displaced) and then doing surgery if it didn't heal, or she could have surgery right away. She was already scheduled to have surgery on her hand for a cyst and an issue with her finger with this same ortho, so between that and the fact she would gain mobility faster with the surgery verses the cast she opted for surgery (they took care of all 3 issues).

If I were you, I'd probably give the new cast by the ortho a week and take her in for x-rays. If the bone had reshifted while in the cast, I'd go with surgery. I'd be worried if I didn't, there would be long term implications from the bone not healing properly.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

BTDT . . . twice. Our ds has broken BOTH of his ulnas & radii (left arm at 5yo and right arm at 8yo). He is now 10, and truly is a very deliberate child--this was all a shock to us. Both times, both bones were clearly out of alignment.

The "surgery" both times for us was just re-alignment under anesthetic, because of the traumatic element of the force needed to match up the bones. I think 45 minutes under anesthetic, as they casted it in the OR as well.

Post-surgery, the bones were STILL not perfectly aligned, but with monthly Xrays, we were able to see the modeling (bones growing gradually together). The ortho was ready to go back in and put in pins if needed . . . but he really wanted to avoid doing that.

The 2nd break was worse, so we went to a 2nd ortho to get his opinion. Worth it for peace of mind, but he just cheered us on to wait & see.

Pins would have aligned the bones, but it also weakens the arm because it's in a cast for SO long (first with the pins, then without the pins, then cast removal).

How old is your dd? Ten years and younger, the bones heal quickly & the child basically is so eager to re-use the arm that P.T. is unnecessary.

Is your ortho recommending PINS now?

I really CANNOT say, "Don't worry about it." But broken arms are a bit routine for orthopods. My advice would be to get a 2nd opinion. It cost about $100, but was well-worth the peace of mind.

Also, we were EXTREMELY vigilant the first 2 weeks after the break. The ortho said absolutely NO use. Prevent bumping, etc.

And yes, looking at the Xrays (ANYTIME) made me sick. I'd get someone to come with you to the checkups, or somehow learn to steel yourself--because it's important to do all you can to understand the issues.

Praying for you & your dd!