Menu

A sort of "would you eat this?"

I found the below on the internet after a friend of mine called in a panic about her chickens. We both treated our sick chickens this spring with Baytril. She was about to destroy her entire stock, probably 300+ chickens, turkeys, guineas, the whole shebang.

My vet knew I was treating with Baytril and we discussed dosage. She told me I have nothing to worry about. My dad, who is a doctor and worries more than anyone I know says for me to cook my eggs well and worry about something else.

Bud says it's the boogey man trying to scare me and although I should do whatever I want he is not worried about it. He says there are too many "ifs" and "mights".

My kids really don't like to eat our eggs anyway, especially since they found a half a chick in one. I don't think I'll stop eating them. Dad said if you get food poisoning and Cipro won't help you then you use something else.

I even talked to the manufacturer and they said they couldn't help me because they had never run tests on it.

I think my main bummer is that I love to share my eggs and now I'll worry about it. No one but us has consumed any of these eggs because 90% of my chickens are too young to lay yet, so I haven't had extra to share.

My friend has decided not to kill her stock off. Opinions?

"When exposed to Baytril, Campylobacter bacteria that cause food poisoning may become resistant to Cipro, the primary medicine used for treating infected people. If this bacteria is in a chicken and is not killed during cooking of eggs or meat from a chicken that EVER took Baytril, a person might become sick with food poisoning that is very difficult to cure."

So.... "If" the chicken has the bacteria to begin with, and "if" it isn't wiped out, and "if" the person gets food poisoning..........? I dunno.

Ok -- we have chickens and guineas. (We've never had to treat for illness.)

I'm thinking out loud here:

You treated the chickens and they appear healthy, right?

You've been consuming the eggs and no one has gotten sick, right?

If they were mine, I'd take my chances. That's just me...