Menu

Does anyone here have a child who takes Prozac?

Wendi

My 11yo ds (language disorder, sensory processing dysfunction, probably ADHD, anxiety) has really been struggling with the anxiety lately. It is getting more OCD-like. We went to the psychiatrist today, and she recommended Prozac. We're going to try some counseling, too. I'm nervous about the Prozac. I'd love to hear some experiences.

Wendi

It definately lessened his anxiety.

Some other things that happened while he was on it (not necessarily related to the medication) that have resolved since being off it:

• He was like a zombie in the morning for several hours after waking up.

• He lied about everything all the time.

• He became very destructive. He was constantly carving pieces out of the furniture, the wood around the windows, etc. It got to the point where we removed anything that could be used to gouge from his room.

• He started wetting the bed.

Coming off the stuff was terrible (Prozac is supposed to be better). He told me he had the brain shivers (or whatever it's called) for several weeks. He was beyond irritable. It was so bad that I was considering putting him back on the stuff. I even got a new prescription and filled it. It's still sitting in the cabinet. But we decided to wait it out and finally after about 2 months, things were better.

My 13yo dd takes 60 mg of prozac daily for ocd and has for several years now. (It was recently upped from 20 to 60.) When she first began taking it (had been started at 5 mg. and gradually moved to 20), dh and I both noticed a change in the anxiety level; it was much less.

Her ocd became worse last spring and her dose was gradually raised again. She's in therapy bi-weekly, learning CBT, but hasn't been real cooperative in doing the "homework."

All in all, I can't say I've noticed any bad side effects from the medication. All people are different, though, so be careful to talk to her doctor if you notice anything unusal.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

He takes a small dose, and it has completely turned him around. He used to suffer from constant anxiety and was harsh and unkind to the rest of us. On Prozac he is happier and more relaxed. He is far more productive in every area of his life.

He has had excellent nutrition all his life and last year took OmegaBrites. However, those factors did not help with his anxiety (though I'm very sure he would have been far worse without them!) the way Prozac has.

Our dd took it for a short while. She was 4 when she took Prozac for her severe anxiety. She also has autism. We took her off it after 2 weeks due to her crying all the time and being in fetal position all the time. We gave up on any meds for her and still do.

I would keep a lookout for strange effects of them. I do not recommend prozac for anyone under the age of 16 from what I have read online during that time. This was 4 yrs ago. I am sure things have changed since then.

A friend of mine's son is on strattera. She said that helped him alot. She said they had to pull him off of Prozac due to a side effect and put him on Zoloft I believe.

I would start out with one med at a time if you are wanting to do med route.

Holly