Menu

Growing With Grammar Reviews

arcara

I'm still looking for a grammar program for my dd for next year. She will be in 4th grade. I just heard about Growing with Grammar and I'm looking for reviews from those who have used this program. Do you find it thorough and rigorous enough? Is it really independent for the child? That would be a real plus for me!

Any other helpful info (positive or negative) on the program would be great!

Thanks!

My dd used it for the first time last year in 4th grade, and truly liked it, to the extent that she was often eager to get to grammar. Kids really seem to like this program for some reason.

I find it thorough, with a nice clean layout. The consumable workbook is a plus for us, and yes, it is very independent. dd would only occasionally request help. I do plan to be on hand more this year for the diagramming sections, as that is what tripped her up most last year as more and more details were added.

There were no real negatives for us. Some people wish it contained more writing (4th has a few paragraphs, a couple of letters and other things), but I like having the main writing component separate.

My oldest has used this for two year (3 & 4), and I plan on purchasing GWG5 for next year. It has worked well for her. She does her work independently and only asks for help when she doesn't understand. We needed something that didn't require much handwriting (which she hated in the beginning) but was complete. GWG fit that bill. The diagramming has been the only difficulty as well - so I will assist more in that area.

I purchased the GWG 1/2 for my youngest. She can also do it alone now - although at the beginning she could not due mostly to lack of spelling skills. Looking it over, I think it would have been best to wait till GWG 3. It looks as if GWG 3 will repeat all of what was in GWG 1/2.

I prefer my writing curriculum to be separate from my grammar anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

We love it! Dd7 just finished GWG 3 and will be starting 4 after the fourth. She actually looks forward to doing it. We had tried R&S, but it just did not flow as well, and the old SL LA sheets I had (and used to like) seemed scattered, with too many concepts introduced all at once. I still may use them "lightly" with SL 3 (these are not the new ones) this fall. But all in all GWG has been a major hit!

My 2 eldest have just finished up levels 4 and 5...they really liked it. I like that it was independent but not dumbed down. I think they still have a good grasp of grammar. The program just 'seems' so simple.

We'll be purchasing the next levels and I plan to start #3 in level 3 once he finishes FLL.

We did 3 and I need to order 4. I liked it *much* better than the FLL approach. My daughter does it independently, though she does have occasional questions. I like that the second page of the day's worksheet is review of previous concepts.