Menu

Ques for Lukeion Latin users...

Ds has been working through the first part of Wheelock this year and is signed up to take Latin 2 next year through Lukeion.

Did your dc make flashcards for the vocab?

Did you buy the special 2x3 cards recommended or just use regular index cards?

Did you use different colored sharpies for nouns, verbs etc.

Thanks.

VH (who already owns LC 1&2 cards, vocab cards made by ds for Latin Prep....sigh)

Edited by TeaTotaler
clarifying colored pens and not cards

Did your dc make flashcards for the vocab?

Did you buy the special 2x3 cards recommended or just use regular index cards?

Did you use different colors for nouns, verbs etc.

:thumbup1: My ds did use the 2x3 flashcards. He LOVED them. He continued to use them in the Spanish classes he took after Latin. We thought they were worth the $. We did not use different colors for nouns and verbs. :) But we did cut colored, regular-size flash cards down to the 2x3 size to make dividers within the box. It was helpful to use the box that the blank cards came in to organize the flashcards.

Ds was not thrilled about making them either, but I talked to Amy at the Cincy convention and she strongly suggested making them.

My DS only used the QUIA 'games' that are provided by Lukeion. He was content with those. (anything to avoid writing down flashcards)

Thanks.

My son makes flashcards for his vocab. He just finished Latin 1 with Lukeion. He prefers the small size (2x3) b/c they are easier to study with. He doesn't make it different colors for the different parts of speech, but that is a good idea!

hth!

Did you purchase one box of the cards or more?

:thumbup1: My ds did use the 2x3 flashcards. He LOVED them. He continued to use them in the Spanish classes he took after Latin. We thought they were worth the $. We did not use different colors for nouns and verbs. :) But we did cut colored, regular-size flash cards down to the 2x3 size to make dividers within the box. It was helpful to use the box that the blank cards came in to organize the flashcards.

Both my dc were in Latin 1 w/Lukeion this year for Latin 1b. We had a tutor for Latin 1a, and she strongly suggested we buy the pre-printed Wheelock's flashcards b/c they had the derivatives and something else on them, which escapes me right now.

For Lukeion, dd followed Mrs. Barr's advice and made new ones. DS just did the Quia online cards. DD got a higher grade! As my dh is always fond of saying, "Your hand has a memory."

We just used regular index cards we had lying around. No extra coloring.

Laura

When studying Latin vocab, it is essential to learn the words in their category. I always recommend that my students group their vocabulary words in lists (3rd conjugation verbs, 2nd Declension nouns Masc, 3rd Declension M/F, 3rd Dec. Neuter, etc). The reason for this is that the biggest problem for students is remembering whether a word is neuter, or whether a verb is a 'short e' verb or a 'long e' verb. Drilling the words together in their category makes it easier for your mind to categorize them. You will associate the word flumen, plural: flumina, with all of the other Neuter 3rd dec. nouns and so be able to quickly recognize that the -a ending is Nom/Acc plural and not nominative sing. as it is for Feminine 1st Dec. nouns.

So if you like this idea, take sheets of notebook paper and title one "1st Conjugation Verbs" another "2nd Conjugation Verbs," etc. Then for the nouns: 1st Declension Nouns, etc. For 3rd declension nouns you would make a separate page for each gender, since they can be either Masc, Feminine, or neuter.

If you like to use flash cards I really think that making them yourself is the way to go, because the act of making the card is one more layer of studying the word. I would have the student drill the words and make cards just for the vocab that they need to drill. Some words are easy to memorize, and then your stack won't get so unmanageable. Cards are helpful, but the amount of vocab that a Wheelock's student needs to master make the stacks of cards unwieldy.

Fwiw!

Totally off topic, but...

The Lukeion people are in Greece this week on their annual Ancient World trip! My daughter and I went on that trip three years ago with Lukeion. (We've been on all three of their trips, to Italy, Greece, and Turkey). I keep thinking about them and wondering how things are going for them, with the Greek economy failing and bank runs occurring.

I'm reading this with interest since Ds will be starting with Lukeion Latin 1a in the fall. So, I'm wondering, are the suggestions for flash cards and instructions about how to make them part of a class, or in an e mail or something?

I'll go back through this thread to see if my question is already answered in case I missed it. If not, can someone please enlighten me? I'd like Ds to start familiarizing himself with some vocab during summer. Should I have him start making cards before he starts the class in the fall?

My daughter did the same thing as Cleo's son: She watched Amy's lessons, studied the book for a few minutes, and played the Quia games. I do not recommend that other students do this!!! She did well, but I think Latin just came especially easily to her.

One other thing we did that I thought was very helpful was to go through the Wheelock's Vocabulary Book (available through Amazon) every single week and review every vocabulary word she had studied up to that point. I would say the English word and she would give me the Latin word (and gender, if applicable). She would probably tell you it didn't help her at all, but I think it really did.

We'll be using Lukeion for the first time this fall, too.

I used to cut regular 3 x 5 cards in half to make my own flash cards. I think I cut them with scissors. Now, that I am an old, wise home school mom, I know I could probably cut them extremely neatly in the printing shop of Office Depot.

And I really agree that your hand has a memory. I can't tell you how many pieces of vocabulary I learned simply by making the card.