Menu

Best way to use money in Europe...help, please!

This will be my daughter and my first trip to Europe. We are going to France for a week. I am looking for the best way to use money over there. My bank has Euros, so I will be taking some with me for the start, but I don't want to keep alot of money on me. I have heard that a pre-paid, reloadable debit card is the best way to go as the exchange rate is better than using a credit card.

I have looked into AAA for a pre-paid, reloadable debit card and they charge a $4.95 start-up fee and 3% foreign exchange mark-up fee on all international purchases. Is this common for these cards? Are there other companies that offer better deals? Other options I should consider?

Would it be better just to use my debit card attached to my bank account and just make sure that there are only enough funds in the account for the trip in case the card is stolen all my money doesn't get wiped out? Will there be foreign exchange mark-up fee going this route?

I would really appreciate any help from you seasoned travellers.

Thanks,

Margaret

I'm living in Europe and when we travel I take euro's..usually 2000 euro and then a credit card for hotels and any issues that come up. You can shop lots of places with a credit card, but each transaction has an international exchange fee...I would rather just take out large sums of euro's and have it on hand. I have a special money belt that goes under my clothing and that takes care of the extra money and I just put the days budget for food and shopping in my purse. I also wear a small purse over my shoulder/chest..it's light and keeps your hands free for picture taking and shopping. Enjoy! Your going to love Europe!!:D

My dd just returned from a 3wk trip to Eastern Europe. She went to several countries which each use their own currency so she couldn't load up on Euros. She used a VISA travel card which is what you are probably referring to. She got it through our local bank and the only funds attached to it are what you load on to it (no credit card or bank account attached to it). The card can be loaded 3 times I think. Her bank charged $7.95 for the card, but the only extra fees were a $2 ATM fee if she used it at one. The issuer of the card has a website and it was very easy to set up her account on the website, and then I tracked it daily to make sure nothing looked fishy. I was able to watch her balance and see what the exchange rate was on each purchase. It posted transactions daily so it was very timely and helpful. The website for the card issuer is: http://www.cashpassportcard.com

Have fun!

We've traveled to Europe several times. Each time we take a lot of cash with us, we've regretted it. In general, you only need enough cash to transfer from the airport to your hotel and enough to buy street food or give tips. We used our Credit Card everywhere, because there's security if it's stolen. We also used our debit card, from our bank account, at an ATM if we needed a little cash. But, like here, there is little need for cash, and most everywhere accepts credit cards.

Travelers checks are a pain. They're not what they used to be, and we've had to find a bank to cash them, and were charged a fee, plus didn't necessarily get the most favorable exchange rate. When we returned, we calculated the exchange rate on the visa card, and it always seemed to be the best one going, not to mention simple.

Have a great trip!

We lived in Europe for 5 years and travelled tons. It really depends on where you will be travelling. Big tourist areas will definitely accept credit/debit cards everywhere. Smaller towns will have many small shops/restaurants that are cash only. I know we could use the ATMs which are nearly as numerous as they are in the US. Ask your bank or credit card company about the exchange rate and use of ATMs.

To echo Tammy, there will probably be fees on credit & debit cards you use...each time you use it...check with your bank before you go.

I know when we went to England & France 5 years ago, there was a fee on our ATM card (more than just the standard $2 that's charged in the US for using a different bank's ATM) every time we used the ATM, so we took out larger amounts at a time to avoid multiple fees.

Just one added thing. I went to Kenya in the summer of 2006. We wore cargo pants, and put small amounts of cash and neccessities like Passport, lip stuff, lotion, etc. in the different pockets. Where we were, we couldn't use credit cards so had to have cash. I had the under the clothes money belt as well as the small amounts in the pockets. That way, when you buy something, you're not pulling out large amounts of cash, which could target you as a potential victim of theft. I would use a restroom or out of the way corner, to transfer little bits from money belt to pockets as needed.

You can shop lots of places with a credit card, but each transaction has an international exchange fee...

We have a couple of credit cards that DO NOT have an international exchange fee. (We searched for them when we moved, I think USAA has one?)

Our problem, when we were over there, was that a number of places simply didn't take credit cards. (It was shocking to us, given how prevalent cc use is over here.)

We use our CC to pay for the hotels and use "cash" for everything else. We use our Debit Card at the ATM every morning and take out the amount we think we will need for that day. We, personally, travel very cheaply (and backpack) and don't like having a bunch of "cash" on us. There is a fee, but the exchange rate is still better by doing it that way.

Oh, and we wear money belts under our clothing too. We keep our cards, cash, and passports in them.