Menu

i think we lost a PHEAA grant of $3600

Jodi-FL

because we didn't know you had to have a diploma through an accredited service. we moved here 1/2 way through his high school years and he actually attended the public school for 1 semester in the south and 1 semester here. i asked our evaluator here when we resumed homeschoooling if we would need anything, and she said no, just that all the high school requirements be met. i contacted the college in march and they told us our award was just over 3600. today, we went to the college to pre-register and they told us about the problem. i'm just sick.

and now i don't know what to do. we have really encouraged our kids (he is our 3rd grad) to go to college debt free. we cannot/will not co-sign a loan. it's worked so far for our 2 oldest. this child chose my alma mater so he gets an alumni discount and a hefty academic scholarship. which would have covered all but what he can make at his job this summer (and he chose to commute not be a resident). now this changes everything. should he clep out of some classes? (like i wanted him to, but our evaluator said she's never had a homeschool not pass and he was afraid he'd be the first to fail, so he doesn't want to try). should he just take a class or two and work the rest of the time?

he only wanted to go there a year anyway, then transfer to a college in TN where my brother is on staff (and he could go and live with his cousin as a resident student, but that cousin doesn't graduate til next year).

advice? i'm so upset.

Have you done each evaluation (including senior year) and turned in portfolios? Has your son done a graduation project of some sort?

If so, then take the form attached to the back of the Pheaa paperwork to your school and see if they'll sign it attesting that you've completed all work according to state law. If you'd been here and doing things correctly each year, then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how they'll handle the out of state part. It's worth asking, but if you haven't done his senior year evaluator interview/portfolio then it won't happen. Many people like to skip those and it's costly as far as college grants go. I'm not sure what the district would think if he hasn't done a graduation project. It's worth asking if they'll sign - regardless.

(Have you even started applying for the Pheaa grant?)

Have you done each evaluation (including senior year) and turned in portfolios? Has your son done a graduation project of some sort? Yes, we have done each evaluation and turned in portfolios. I submitted objectives for him last year with the affidavit, but my evaluator recommended not doing an end of year eval since he's over 18. She would be happy to do one for him, though if I asked. As far as a senior project, he did numerous volunteer projects that could be counted, but we haven't officially done so.

If so, then take the form attached to the back of the Pheaa paperwork to your school and see if they'll sign it attesting that you've completed all work according to state law. If you'd been here and doing things correctly each year, then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how they'll handle the out of state part. It's worth asking, but if you haven't done his senior year evaluator interview/portfolio then it won't happen. Many people like to skip those and it's costly as far as college grants go. I'm not sure what the district would think if he hasn't done a graduation project. It's worth asking if they'll sign - regardless. The PHEAA website says that form needs to be submitted before April 1. I doubt they'll make an exceptions even since this is the first time we've heard of it. I guess it never hurts to ask.

(Have you even started applying for the Pheaa grant?)

Yes, all our FAFSA was complete back in January, and he did get a PELL grant as well. Thanks so much for your input.

Some of this does not make sense.

You can get your superintendent to sign off on the PHEAA form. It is no big deal. If you have a problem, contact your local representative. I have helped many people with PHEAA who do not buy diplomas from the PA UNACCREDITED diploma companies.

What college? The college awards are separate from the PHEAA awards and do not require proof of high school graduation, which is essentially what PHEAA is requesting.

pm me.

maryalice

Advisory Board PHEA

The PHEAA website says that form needs to be submitted before April 1. I doubt they'll make an exceptions even since this is the first time we've heard of it. I guess it never hurts to ask. Yes, all our FAFSA was complete back in January, and he did get a PELL grant as well. Thanks so much for your input.

The Pheaa form should say April 1st 2013 (not 2012). I think you'll be fine, but yes, if your district is like here, you'll need to do everything (evaluator/portfolio) for senior year. Here we also need a graduation project, but that will evidently depend upon your school district.

Here we also need a graduation project, but that will evidently depend upon your school district.

No, I don't mean to keep harping on this, but school districts can NOT demand extra requirements that are not in the state home education law. The law is statewide, the individual 500 SD can NOT make up their own requirements. I don't care what the superintendent says. If this persists, contact Suzanne Tallman at PDE or a lawyer or simply stand your ground with the law. The law can be found at PHEA.net website. Over compliance of an already burdensome law only makes it worse for other families.

and for Jodi-FL, the PHEAA form can be found on their website:

http://www.pheaa.org/funding-opportunities/state-grant-program/pdf/2012-2013/12HSV.pdf

No, I don't mean to keep harping on this, but school districts can NOT demand extra requirements that are not in the state home education law. The law is statewide, the individual 500 SD can NOT make up their own requirements. I don't care what the superintendent says. If this persists, contact Suzanne Tallman at PDE or a lawyer or simply stand your ground with the law. The law can be found at PHEA.net website. Over compliance of an already burdensome law only makes it worse for other families.

and for Jodi-FL, the PHEAA form can be found on their website:

http://www.pheaa.org/funding-opportunities/state-grant-program/pdf/2012-2013/12HSV.pdf

I can't 100% say our SD requires a graduation project from homeschoolers (they do from ps students). We've just always done them, so it hasn't been an issue. I'm in agreement with high school soon-to-be grads doing something more major and "worthy" as part of their high school experience. I'm in favor for it for all grads too (regardless of whether they are going to college or not or their academic ability), so I don't see it as over-compliance. I see it as training up an active citizen.

NONETHELESS, it's good you posted so those who disagree with my personal views can know they have a leg to stand on should they want one. ;)

I can't 100% say our SD requires a graduation project from homeschoolers (they do from ps students). We've just always done them, so it hasn't been an issue. I'm in agreement with high school soon-to-be grads doing something more major and "worthy" as part of their high school experience. I'm in favor for it for all grads too (regardless of whether they are going to college or not or their academic ability), so I don't see it as over-compliance. I see it as training up an active citizen.

NONETHELESS, it's good you posted so those who disagree with my personal views can know they have a leg to stand on should they want one. ;)

I agree Creekland. DD's senior project was a near space weather balloon flight. Our sons are participating in Team America Rocketry Challenge, Lego Robotics, and will also be a part of a senior year 4-H science engineering project yet to be determined.

DD also had a Right Stuff award from Space Camp her junior year and that really helped as well.

Faith

• 4 weeks later...

it turns out, our superintendent didn't sign because she doesn't handle any of the homeschool stuff anymore. (apparently, our school district is in transition, trying to establish a homeschool department of sorts) so, the head of that department agreed to sign the PHEAA form, based on a "senior summary" we submitted at their request (they did not want a portfolio), they could see he has been in the system the last 3 years (since we've lived here).

now, the email we got from PHEAA said they needed the amended paperwork (the signed form) by april 1, 2013, but the form itself says they will not accept any paperwork after april 1, 2012. we are hoping it's just a typo on their part, since the latest email we got from them asking us to amend our information was may 24.

thanks for the encouragement to pursue it more-

i think i'll still sign my younger ones up for erie diploma program

jodi in pa

i think i'll still sign my younger ones up for erie diploma program

jodi in pa

The diploma programs are unaccredited and useless. There may be changes to PHEAA to make it smoother, rather than put yourself under an authority for high school. I have graduated 4 out of 5 with a parent issued transcript and diploma. I evaluate and sign off on many diploma programs students, many who miss deadlines for diploma programs. There are glitches no matter what you chose, whether you missed a deadline for the superintendent or missed a deadline for ECHSA diploma.

maryalice

Most public high schools in Pennsylvania are unaccredited, actually. You can go to the Middle States website and do a search. You'll be shocked.

In my county alone, out of seven school districts, only one has bothered with having their high school accredited. The Pennsylvania public high school I graduated from says on their website that they are accredited, but Middle States does not have a record of that. Accreditation is a big scam and is often used to frighten homeschoolers and potential homeschoolers. Graduates of those unaccredited public and private schools get grants and student loans every day.

The diploma programs are unaccredited and useless. There may be changes to PHEAA to make it smoother, rather than put yourself under an authority for high school. I have graduated 4 out of 5 with a parent issued transcript and diploma. I evaluate and sign off on many diploma programs students, many who miss deadlines for diploma programs. There are glitches no matter what you chose, whether you missed a deadline for the superintendent or missed a deadline for ECHSA diploma.

maryalice

thanks for that- my evaluator is an "approved" evaluator for a state approved diploma program and she doesn't think we need to bother with it either (she's graduated 7 of 9 with a parent issued diploma too). i don't like hoops. no matter who's making me jump through them :)

• 2 weeks later...

we got the director of the homeschool program to sign, and PHEAA granted him an award of $3,852 for the year.

THANK YOU so much for your encouragement to not drop it!

and I won't be going with a diploma program for the remaining kids as our school district said they are just "working out the kinks" and didn't mean to say they wouldn't sign it :)

thanks again so much!

we got the director of the homeschool program to sign, and PHEAA granted him an award of $3,852 for the year.

THANK YOU so much for your encouragement to not drop it!

and I won't be going with a diploma program for the remaining kids as our school district said they are just "working out the kinks" and didn't mean to say they wouldn't sign it :)

thanks again so much!

That is great news. Not only that you got the signatures you needed, but that the college also recognized that the path chosen by some doesn't invalidate the path chosen by others.

• 2 weeks later...
Wait, I have been away from the forum for really long time. And I just found this thread. My homeschooled son is going to college this Fall. And I have not been aware of this PHEAA grant stuff. Is this too late to jump in? If not, how to get a PHEAA Form mentioned in this thread? Thanks.

I'm not sure what (if any) initial deadline there is. I suggest doing on Pheaa's website and hunting around.

Also, which school did he pick? If he's in PA, then he's eligible in that aspect. At some of the other schools he might not be. It all depends upon the state and their financial relationship with PA. My guy going to NY gets nothing. My guy in GA gets $300 (I think that's it).