Menu

Is CLE math easy to accelerate?

What you are seeing is for the 1st light unit only of each grade series. But, to answer your question, YES! CLE is very easy to accelerate. We are doing that now with CLE 500. We do the new material at the beginning of a lesson and not the review. Then, for the second lesson, dd does the entire lesson. We are accelerating because dd really needs to be in the next grade level but we haven't covered all things in the CLE sequence. This system is working very for us in the short term. I wouldn't do this if dd hadn't covered most of this grade level in another curriculum, though.

What you are seeing is for the 1st light unit only of each grade series. But, to answer your question, YES! CLE is very easy to accelerate. We are doing that now with CLE 500. We do the new material at the beginning of a lesson and not the review. Then, for the second lesson, dd does the entire lesson. We are accelerating because dd really needs to be in the next grade level but we haven't covered all things in the CLE sequence. This system is working very for us in the short term. I wouldn't do this if dd hadn't covered most of this grade level in another curriculum, though.

That's what we have done as well. DD11 (6th grade) finished levels 500 and 600 this year. She will do level 700 next year at a regular pace, but she will skip the first Light Unit.

ETA: We did 2-3 lessons per day by skipping most of the review problems and focusing on the new content.

Edited by Veritaserum

My dd is finishing up 6th grade but is only 1/2 through CLE 5 because of changing currics after pulling her from school and then having gaps. I do much the same as the other posters. We do all the quizzes but skip the drills as she is pretty solid on math facts. She covers the new material for each lesson, and all the practice problems for it. She skips much of the review of the rest of the lesson except some of the skill builders and sometimes something that I just want her to remember that she knows. Her mistakes on quizzes and test come almost exclusively from sloppy little mistakes.. adding instead of subtracting, not paying attention to the full instructions, etc. So I am working hard with her on those kinds of skills since the math is finally sticking. I hope to have her in CLE 6 by fall and accelerate through that but not too fast.

My criterion for success for her is a 90 or better on the quizzes and tests. She is easily doing that so I feel comfortable accelerating her. I do also pull out LoF and MM and sometimes even some CWP for her too.

The lessons don't take very long, so you could have them do 2-3 whole lessons a day.

I once counted up problems in a sample lesson at level 400 or 500, I can't remember which. Anyway, it was something like 51 problems in one lesson (roughly the same amount as a Math Mammoth lesson). I can't imagine having a child do 100-150 problems in a single day. :tongue_smilie:

My friend accelerated CLE Math, and they did multiple new lessons, then the review section of just one of them. Sometimes they did 8 lessons in a day if the new material was really easy to pick up (they were trying to catch up to grade level, now that math had "clicked" with the child, thanks to CLE :D). Oh, and they'd also do the review parts that dealt with the new lessons involved. So if they did lessons 1-8, and lesson 3 had review of material from lesson 1, they'd do the review part in lesson 3 that dealt with that new material, but they'd skip the other review. Hopefully that makes sense. :tongue_smilie: