Menu

I'm not above bribery to maintain harmony in my homeschool - you?

I know I"m probably in the minority here, but I resorted to bribery :)

Autumn wanted badly to go to the local arts school next year for middle school but two issues came into play - one, we didn't feel she was ready in anything other than math to move past 5th grade; two, if she was found to need an IEP on any level (she is dyslexic and very young for her grade) she would not be allowed to participate in Strings (the entire reason she wanted to go to this school) because her LD resource class would take place during the "extra arts" classes.

So... I told her that if could maintain a good attitude and *endure* (with said pleasant attitude) another semester (or two) of homeschooling (and then she would be going to a local Catholic school with resources for dyslexia)... she could participate in gymnastics classes this fall. This is something I have been firmly against. As a former competitive gymnast myself, I know the toll it takes on a body and the push towards anorexia that many girls fall into (at least back in my day, lol). My body was SHOT by 14 and I still have issues today.

But. Well. Yeah.

I broke and I bribed.

And it worked :tongue_smilie:

I've got one even worse. I bribe with candy. :p Yep. If my kids do two multiplication drills a day for five days in a row, they earn a piece of candy. (A push pop or something like that, not a candy bar.) I don't have to remind them, I don't have to argue with them. They just do it. :)

I've got one even worse. I bribe with candy. :p Yep. If my kids do two multiplication drills a day for five days in a row, they earn a piece of candy. (A push pop or something like that, not a candy bar.) I don't have to remind them, I don't have to argue with them. They just do it. :)

The only reason that wouldn't work well here is because we have a ready supply of candy in the snack cabinet :lol:.

Oh I don't think that's so horrible. I think that's an age where it's especially important for kids to start having a good social and physical outlet on a regular basis. Hopefully her experience will be much different than yours. :001_smile:

Has she taken gymnastics before? I'm just curious because there are places here for kids that want to learn some basic gymnastics but it's all non competitive and they don't go to meets or anything they just put a show on at the end of the semester. My dd wanted to try gymnastics but didn't want to go to a competitive gym, so we did the one like I mentioned above and she loved it. There was no pushing the kids other than to encourage them to keep trying and not every one in the class was at the same level so the coaches just taught/coached each child where they were at.

Has she taken gymnastics before? I'm just curious because there are places here for kids that want to learn some basic gymnastics but it's all non competitive and they don't go to meets or anything they just put a show on at the end of the semester. My dd wanted to try gymnastics but didn't want to go to a competitive gym, so we did the one like I mentioned above and she loved it. There was no pushing the kids other than to encourage them to keep trying and not every one in the class was at the same level so the coaches just taught/coached each child where they were at.

She is naturally able to tumble very well without formal instruction. Here, they do have non-competitive developmental classes for homeschoolers actually - but, really, it's boring. All ages above 4 do it together and they do nothing more difficult than rolls and cartwheels. Same thing every week. We do try to go with our co-op group when my son is well because there is a Mommy and Me toddler class.

We plan to start her in a 9-12 level 2 developmental (non-competitive) class and see where it goes. If she enjoys it that much, I would never keep her from doing it or holding her back from competition. I guess. Lol.

The only reason that wouldn't work well here is because we have a ready supply of candy in the snack cabinet :lol:.

I can't keep candy in the house. My husband has no will power around it. :)

I hope your daughter enjoys her gymnastics class. It sounds like that type of class is unlikely to have much pressure to lose weight and have a certain body type. :)

it isn't bribery, it is rewarding positive behaviour. sort of like training a dog....

I agree. Though I like to think of it more like they are working toward a goal in situations like this.

And, no, I'm not above bribery. :D

When we first started homeschooling, I bribed my kids w/lots of extra activities to keep them happy and social--they're very, very social kids. We were out of the house 4 days a week, but usually only half days.

My son decided to head off to our local all-boys Catholic high school. He was on the fence, and I knew I could come up w/something pretty big to bribe him to stay home, which is what I wanted. I decided against it. Now it's his decision and he owns it. I'm sad, but know he will have a great experience.

I think you'd be surprised at how many of us bribe on a regular basis in one form or another.

Laura

When we first started homeschooling, I bribed my kids w/lots of extra activities to keep them happy and social--they're very, very social kids. We were out of the house 4 days a week, but usually only half days.

My son decided to head off to our local all-boys Catholic high school. He was on the fence, and I knew I could come up w/something pretty big to bribe him to stay home, which is what I wanted. I decided against it. Now it's his decision and he owns it. I'm sad, but know he will have a great experience.

I think you'd be surprised at how many of us bribe on a regular basis in one form or another.

Laura

My younger son has speech problems due to a lung condition. I bribe him with large Reese Cups if he will sing a song or count for me :tongue_smilie:

(daily)