Menu

Need help choosing science!

Aurelia

Which science program do you suggest?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which science program do you suggest?

• Oak Meadow 5
    • NOEO Biology 2
    • Galore Park
    • Mr. Q
    • Other. Please explain.

I'm stuck trying to decide what to do for science next year. Every time I think I have it planned, something happens and my options change. So, I'm trying to find a solid, interesting, secular science program with some good hands-on stuff. Based on my research, I'm leaning towards either Oak Meadow's 5th grade science or NOEO Biology 2, since that seems to be where Ariel's skills and background would fit. I like the idea of NOEO because she likes biology and it comes with most everything, but level 2 looks like mostly encyclopedias. Bio 1 is too basic. I'd really like to do Ellen McHenry's chemistry the year after this upcoming one, and we just did an in-depth unit on astronomy.

I've also always had in the back of my mind that I wanted to do OM science around middle school. Then again, I'm not sure what supplies I'd have to buy to go with OM to make it work, and even on sale it's the same price I'd end up paying for NOEO.

Other options of Galore Park Jr Science 3 or So You Really Want to Learn Science (currently working through Jr 2) or Mr. Q, though I'm not sure what supplies I would need for that, either. I hate having to gather a bunch of supplies we'll use for one experiment and then have hanging around our house forever.

Help?

Edited by Aurelia

I'm hesitant to answer as I've only been doing the curriculum for a couple weeks now... But someone on this site got me interested in Easy Classical.

http://www.easyclassical.com

It's a basic schedule of science, using the classical reading-notebooking approach. We chose Animal/Plants/Human Body and are two weeks in (although I've planned the next two.) They basically use the DK First Animal Encyclopedia, and an Evan Moore workbook. The first week, as an example, we read a couple of pages from the encyclopedia and my kids did a narration, from the encyclopedia. Then, from the workbook, there was a discussion / group log book thing for one day, and another day we did a nature walk/discussion and individual log book pages. Next week we'll do a reading, narration, experiment and start our animal classification chart. It's very simple and seems very easy to modify to appropriate time, interests and ability.

It's also, as far as I can tell so far, completely secular.

Hope that helps. I have no experience of any of the others, wish I could be more help.

I like REAL Science Odyssey. HOWEVER it is the only one we have ever done. But we all love it.

We are just about to start REAL Science Odyssey - I got it in the mail yesterday!! :) I hope that my kids will love it - the 8yo is VERY science-loving & I have struggled long & hard to come up with a program that will fit a lot of different needs (secular, grouping multiple kids across several grade levels, ability to purchase a box of set supplies). I've got my fingers crossed!

Recently tried items include:

- Exploration Education: he really liked this and we will probably re-visit it in a future year. There is really only 1 program, though, not several grade levels (the Elementary is a joke, the Intermediate is what we used, and the Advanced is just Intermediate plus some) and it only covers Physics. Comes with a kit & a DVD & a lab book, so I was able to just set ds up at a computer & let him go.

- Supercharged Science: fantastic but expensive and advanced. I definitely plan to use this again in future years; it covers a TON of information at a very deep level. I think when my ds is older he will get a lot out of it, but only because he WANTS to get a lot. Hard to piece together all the necessary parts for all of the experiments.

- Real Science 4 Kids: to be fair, we didn't give this a very good chance. We have the books but somehow couldn't really get into them. I will have to try again in the future.

- Elemental Science: Only used Biology 1 & only slogged through a month or so - NOT a good fit for us!!

We used Noeo, all of the second levels. I would have to say that biology was my least favorite, though we combined it with Artistic Pursuits, Take A Walk, and I bought a ton of supplements (xrays, digital microscope..) and went on field trips. We liked the encyclopedia and Mysteries/Marvels books just fine because they were bright and colorful, and the lesson also had the optional internet links tied in.

That said, the included experiments were written poorly, leaving no room for discovery from the child. I had to remove the instructions and replace them with a sheet I made so that he didn't just read through and go "well, I know what it's supposed to do anyway!"

The Body Book is a LOT of cutting and coloring. A LOT. And there's about 2-3 weeks worth of it. It was frustrating.

If I had it to do over again I'd try the free science from Classic Science first before trying something else, and I'd probably look for unit studies to stretch out if I had to.

I am ramping up for a bio year, and as a former bench scientist in genetics (PCR, FISH, tissue cultures, high power microscopy, etc) it has been tough to plan for my 11 and 8 YO.

I have CK12 Flexbooks, NOEO, Elemental Bio, Ellen McHenry, Lab of Mr.Q, The Happy Scientist, RS4K, Supercharged Science, bill Nye videos, Holt textbooks, tons of lab stuff, and just started stockpiling Prentice Hall Science Explorer books, plus my own handwritten material, among other resources (CPR and first aid, outdoor survival, etc).

I will be doing a mash-up, but right now I like elements of the Science Explorer books quite a lot. I have been reading the labs built into the books, and they do not require a lot of outside weird materials (do expect dissecting stuff when teaching Bio); for example, to teach muscle action, they explain how to dissect a chicken wing, giving very clear directions, right down to telling the student to hold own the shoulder and watch what happens when they tug on one muscle, ten the other; illustrating that muscles pull in agnostic pairs, they don't push. The lab requires a chicken wing from the grocery store, scissors, gloves, and bleach, but it is a seriously cool lab-- and you don't need a separate TM, lab book, student notebook, or $500 lab kit. Buying used on Amazon, I paid $4 including shipping. Not bad! For that price I can afford several.

Have you looked at Elemental Science? My older girls have done the Logic Stage biology this year, and it's been great! She's even selling kits to go with it for the the experiments. I think the girls have learned a lot and they have really enjoyed it!

Have you looked at Elemental Science? My older girls have done the Logic Stage biology this year, and it's been great! She's even selling kits to go with it for the the experiments. I think the girls have learned a lot and they have really enjoyed it!

I did look at it, but it looks like I need to buy the program, the supply kit, the spine book, a microscope, and a lot of other supplies to do the experiments (like uncooked shrimp shells and pantyhose). Is that right? That's something I was really hoping to avoid. I really dread having to piece together science programs, and it always ends up being so much more expensive that I had planned.

We just didn't do those experiments. I didn't get a microscope. I just couldn't justify the cost at this stage. We didn't do a frog dissection - my girls thought that sounded gross anyway. We only did experiment when we truly had the stuff around here. My girls still enjoyed everything else :). I think the experiment kit is supposed to come with all those difficult-to-find things. She didn't have this when we purchased the program last summer. I really like how the program is totally put together for me. We just open the book to

the next lesson and get started.

We liked Mr. Q but printing it was a huge pain. We switched to Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding this year and have all liked it. It relies on us looking up videos a lot and that gets us exploring more than what we started with.

"Also, I'm not very knowlegable in Science and it outlines possible questions my children may ask and how to answer them along with questions to ask them to get them thinking deeper about what is happening.

We liked Mr. Q but printing it was a huge pain. We switched to Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding this year and have all liked it. It relies on us looking up videos a lot and that gets us exploring more than what we started with.

"Also, I'm not very knowlegable in Science and it outlines possible questions my children may ask and how to answer them along with questions to ask them to get them thinking deeper about what is happening.

:iagree: We love BFSU here. I used it from K-2, and next year picking up 3-5. We use a three-pronged approach for Natural Science - BFSU, Nature Study, and living books. BFSU fits Charlotte Mason's approach very well, and this is what we do. Ds is learning so much, and it's enjoyable for us both.