Menu

Where should I begin?

Our family has decided that this year will be our son's final year of "regular school" and will begin homeschooling for 2nd grade. I'm just not sure where to begin for history and science. It is my understanding that one studies The Ancients alongside Life Sciences in the first year and then studies The Middle Ages alongside Earth science. Is this correct? My son studied Egypt in school and a lot of life science (although I'm not sure how well), so I'm not sure if I should start him from the beginning, or if I should begin with The Middle Ages/Earth science (he was pretty excited about the Earth science). Or does it matter if I study The Ancients & Earth Science together? I don't want him to be bored....

I just want this homeschooling to be successful, but I am completely overwhelmed with choices right now (how did people homeschool before internet?! :001_smile:)

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

I just want this homeschooling to be successful, but I am completely overwhelmed with choices right now (how did people homeschool before internet?! :001_smile:)

Oh, girl, we started hsing in 1982, when computers were Vic20s, before support groups or homeschool conventions were even invented. :lol:

I would start at the beginning with Ancients and Life Science. I bet you will find a TON of gaps from what the PS taught him. They probably hit on some super basics but that is probably it.

I would find a good Ancients (Story of the World is great for this age) and a good life science program (with fun experiments such as the jello cell ;)) and have fun with it! Make sure, though, that you give your son time to adjust from public school to homeschool. I pull my kids out when my oldest finished 4th grade and my now 4th grader finished K. They needed that time to get used to how school was to be done.

I would make sure you give him placement tests for whatever math you do with him because my oldest was VERY behind in math (even though on the honor roll- the school itself was VERY behind)

Grammar- start from the beginning. FLL is a great program. I would start with FLL 1 and WWE 1. Public schools expect ALOT of output in writing but just do not teach HOW to write. WWE spends time teaching how to write before expecting any output.

Enjoy this time with your son. Take time this summer to get used to the new student/teacher relationship. Have fun!!

I 2nd the adjustment time suggestion. Our 1st year was an adjustment/experiment. We had a lot of struggle and it took a while to figure out what worked.

We are new to wtm so next year will be our first classical style year. We are using mfw so not exactly wtm but it sort of fits with the third grade time frame suggested by wtm. Anyway I guess it's up to what you want tp do. Pick up from 2nd grade or start back at ancients. Either way works.

I 2nd the adjustment time suggestion. Our 1st year was an adjustment/experiment. We had a lot of struggle and it took a while to figure out what worked.

We are new to wtm so next year will be our first classical style year. We are using mfw so not exactly wtm but it sort of fits with the third grade time frame suggested by wtm. Anyway I guess it's up to what you want tp do. Pick up from 2nd grade or start back at ancients. Either way works.

Story of the World ancients and life science again.

There are LOTs of holes in public school education so don't worry about covering from the beginning.

I have yet to have found THE ultimate science program ...but mine has been so far Mr. Q.....and it is just the free life science one we printed out.

This summer, I think I will see if my daughters are ready for those science task cards from Creek Edge.

Next year we will be doing Elemental Science chemistry I think.

I agree with the others, start at the beginning with at least history, both if you can swing it. For me, that just makes the most sense...

UNLESS... If you ever plan to join a local Classical Conversations or Tapestry of Grace group, you might want to look into what cycle they are on. Our local CC group was doing unit 4 last year, and I ended up being glad I got wait-listed. Because now, if we join, we can start in unit 1 with everyone.

Not sure if that makes sense, just wanted to throw that out there before you spent too much money on curricula.