Menu

Latin Road to English Grammar

Have any of you used The Latin Road to English Grammar? I am considering this for my 8th grader. Hopefully it will work for us and he will continue using it through 10th grade. The author claims that The Latin Road includes all of the English grammar that a student needs. Have you found that to be the case? If not, have you found an English grammar curriculum that works well alongside The Latin Road?

We are using Rod & Staff but I have considered dropping it and finding something that is more streamlined... possibly Analytical Grammar. But, I'm not sure because he really likes R&S and it works very well for him. However, here it is at the end of 7th grade and he has only worked through R&S 5. We stretched book 5 out quite a bit in order to give him more time to work on his writing. He will be using Writing With Skill next year and of course Susan recommends that we skip the writing in R&S and just do the grammar.

Just not sure what to do... I'm not convinced that The Latin Road will be all he needs for grammar, but it sure is tempting to drop R&S for awhile.

Would The Latin Road and R&S's grammar be a good match?

Would appreciate ANY feedback. Actually, anything you can share about The Latin Road would be appreciated.

We use Shurley Grammar 6 along with Latin Road 1. We will have completed half of LR and half of Shurley 6 by the end of 6th grade. I think it has been going well, so we plan on finishing up the 2nd half in seventh grade. According to the WTM book, LR isnt enough and even before I read that, I also thought it needed just a little something else, but couldnt put my finger on what exactly.

I know when I asked about this last spring, Tina Gilbert, who's a rep for LREG, strongly recommended that I not start LREG until after we finished R&S6. She was of the opinion that LREG wouldn't work well without a strong foundation in English grammar.

I believe she's posted quite often on LREG, possibly mostly on the Logic sub-forum. It might be helpful to do a search there.

We're finishing R&S5 this year and then moving on to 6. I'm itching to start LREG, but I'm putting it off another year.

We use Shurley Grammar 6 along with Latin Road 1. We will have completed half of LR and half of Shurley 6 by the end of 6th grade. I think it has been going well, so we plan on finishing up the 2nd half in seventh grade. According to the WTM book, LR isnt enough and even before I read that, I also thought it needed just a little something else, but couldnt put my finger on what exactly.

Yes, I know the WTM says it isn't really enough on its own. And, I've read that it moves very quickly so the student can get lost if he doesn't have a strong background in English grammar already.

Do you teach LR everyday? How long do you spend on a daily lesson? I believe I read one daily lesson should take about 45 minutes. Does that sound about right to you?

Thank you!

I know when I asked about this last spring, Tina Gilbert, who's a rep for LREG, strongly recommended that I not start LREG until after we finished R&S6. She was of the opinion that LREG wouldn't work well without a strong foundation in English grammar.

I believe she's posted quite often on LREG, possibly mostly on the Logic sub-forum. It might be helpful to do a search there.

We're finishing R&S5 this year and then moving on to 6. I'm itching to start LREG, but I'm putting it off another year.

This is exactly what I thought would be best for us to do. I think that's what I'll probably end up doing. He is using Getting Started With Latin now and really likes it. The lessons are short and using it with R&S has not been burdensome. That means he wouldn't start until 9th grade, but I guess that's not the end of the world. :001_huh:

LREG was part of my kids' infinite years of studying Latin.

While the course is well-laid-out, it was problematic for us --

1. It was BORING. My kids prefered Wheelocks, Henle, absolutely anything over LREG. The two who used it are done with college, and they still hold LREG as the epitome of a boring curriculum!

2) It didn't transition well into anything. It isn't a strong enough curriculum to allow students who complete it to jump into literature after LREG 2, so if you intend to have your students study Latin lit and then AP Latin, you need to either spend more than two years cementing grammar or you need a stronger curriculum. (My kids finished LREG 2 and still ended up starting at the beginning of Wheelocks.)

If you are not intending to have your kids continue beyond LREG, then the dryness of the material is the only issue.

JMHO -- the curriculum has been around for years, so obviously some people like it! :)

Yes, I know the WTM says it isn't really enough on its own. And, I've read that it moves very quickly so the student can get lost if he doesn't have a strong background in English grammar already.

Do you teach LR everyday? How long do you spend on a daily lesson? I believe I read one daily lesson should take about 45 minutes. Does that sound about right to you?

Thank you!

I do not teach LR every day, and sometimes not every week either. We are doing a chapter a month instead of a chapter every two weeks, so its a slow pace. I actually told my son recently that we are going to pick up the pace and get two more chapters done this summer. I think its a great study of Latin words and grammar and it takes about an hour or less to complete a section. I go over the lesson with him and he usually has something he needs to copy and put into his notebook. I allow him to use his book for tests if he needs to.

I would like to find a Latin program online for him to do because I dont feel like Im teaching it well enough. Thats why I dont use it as a stand alone program, I just dont feel confident enough, but with the Shurley, I do. It is easily laid out though and a gentle approach to learning Latin, so I still recommend it. We will stick with it for now, but it might help if I bothered to watch the videos, it just never feels like I have time! Heck, we could watch them together!

We are using LREG this year for 7th and plan on using vol 2 for 8 and eventually finish up the series in 9th grade.

While I like the Latin, I don't like the grammar. I plan on using Analytical Grammar this fall for the year to give a more solid foundation. Dd did complete all four years of FLL and she did a year of GWG and a year of Harvey's Grammar.

From now on when grammar comes up in LREG I'll consider it supplemental material.