Menu

Yogurt makers:

This is the one I got and I love it!! It's already saved me a bunch of money on cereal and store bought yogurt. All you really need (besides the "kit") is plain yogurt with live cultures, a bit of sweetener if you so choose, milk and powdered milk. It's so simple and yummy! You'll love it! It came with easy to follow instructions inside.

We use a Yogourmet. We use the last of an existing batch of yogurt as a starter. We don't flavor in the manufacture, only in the serving.

1/2 gallon of organic milk, heat to 180 degrees F, then cool to room temp

add 1 cup live yogurt

sometimes we'll add a packet of Yogourmet starter, but this is not necessary.

We incubate in the Yogourmet for 18 hours or so. Only 12 are necessary, but we like the longer cook time.

Stick in fridge when done. Eat over the next 3 weeks (although it rarely lasts that long).

In serving my kids enjoy Nutella added for "chocolate yogurt" or strawberry preserves for "strawberry yogurt". My wife and I prefer honey, sometimes with granola, nuts, or fresh berries.

HTH

I have a plastic Salton yogurt maker that I like. It was about $15 when I bought it several years ago. It makes one quart at a time.

Here's my recipe

2 cups non-fat dry milk plus enough water to make 3 cups.

Microwave for 3-4 minutes to scald milk, then let cool a few hours to overnight.

Add 1 container cheap yogurt with active cultures.

Let sit 9-12 hours, then chill in fridge.

Flavor just before serving with strawberry preserves.

Here's the easiest way to make nice thick yogurt I've found-no special equipment!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Bring 4 cups of whole milk, (but feel free to experiment! I've had success with 1%) up to 180 degrees in a pan.

2. Then take it off the heat and let it cool down to 120 degrees (no cooler than that!)

3. Meanwhile heat some water in a quart jar in the micro to get the jar nice and warm. Empty the water out of the quart jar and put 1-3 T plain yogurt in the bottom, add the warm milk and stir well for about 20 sec. Put the lid on and wrap in a blanket for 6-8 hours. 6=less tart. That's it!

It will thicken up after refrigerating. Remember to save some yogurt for your next batch.

This has been saving us a lot of money. You can mix all-fruit jam or honey into a bowl of it if you like it sweeter.

I've flavored this with homemade vanilla and a little regular sugar while it was at 120'.

I can't remember who here on the board posted this, but it is delicious.

My process is essentially the same as Tammyla's but I don't even bother with the measurements and temps she mentioned. I pour our milk (whole and very high in fat content) into a couple of quart jars and then pour that into a pot. Heat it up on medium low for a bit. I have no idea how warm it gets, but I tend to let it stay on there too long because it's usually on the verge of boiling when I pull it off. Put a couple of inches of cool water in the sink and stick the pot in there to let it cool down. Again, I don't check the temp (don't own a thermometer anyway). Ten minutes or so does the trick. Then I stir in a half cup or so of plain yogurt. Pour it back into the quart jars (you don't need to warm them up ahead of time).

When our wood stove is going, I put the jars on the ledge behind the stove. Otherwise I put them in the oven set to 100. Easy peasy!:)

I have the Salton one. I haven't made it in awhile, but your thread got me realizing I need to pull it out! I make it basically like Tammyla, but mix the milk with 1/2 cup plain yogurt. I flavor it later by adding fresh fruit or preserves. My kiddos love it!

which you can find here: http://marymarthame.blogspot.com/2008/05/thick-creamy-yogurthomemade.html I put this recipe x4 into 2 half-gallon jars and add a little vanilla. I don't use the optional powdered milk.

We really don't have any warm spots in our house, so I put the jars in a cooler with a heating pad set to low. Before I go to bed, I turn the heating pad off, and the yogurt is ready in the morning.

Camy also has flavoring ideas which you can find here: http://marymarthame.blogspot.com/search/label/Homemade%20Goodness